Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 engine stand?

Mornin y'all,

We got the mighty mill out sunday but it wont fit my motor stand. The bottom studs are too short. Thinking of pulling out the studs and using all thread, I can get metric all thread. The question is do y'all think I will be able to get those studs out easily?

Thanks

Jim

you could probably get by with just the top bolts, ans long as you are not rotating the engine upside down!

otherewise, you can remove the studs by locking 2 nuts together.

they are m10x1.25 thread, if you are trying to use longer hardware. Long bolts will be fine. If you had fleets of parts around, another set of bellhousing bolts would work too

I used some all thread for the top. 10mm but coarse thread. Use a couple of clamps for the bottom. Right tickled with how clean this little puppy is inside, no grunge in the low pockets at all. Must have had regular oil changes. But if so why do these motors start making that horrible racket?

Jim

IMG_0064.jpg

Old rubber seals not holding oil pressure anymore along with extraordinarily convoluted oil passages that go through pump seals, head gaskets, o rings, etc etc then arrive at the valvetrain.

The engine being clean inside means the lifters should work great once taken apart and flushed.

Old rubber seals not holding oil pressure anymore along with extraordinarily convoluted oil passages that go through pump seals, head gaskets, o rings, etc etc then arrive at the valvetrain.

The engine being clean inside means the lifters should work great once taken apart and flushed.

Yeah your reasoning sounds spot on, makes a lot of sense all that drag robs flow. I have read everything here about this issue and have gotten tips from My guru so hopefully with all those things being cleaned and checked she will quit fussin so much. I was all proud of myself after each of the last 2 attempts till she started complaining again. :-\

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always been able to get the studs out easily. I bought some longer bolts to fit and it works great.

I will be changing out the bellhousing since I broke the timing pointer off trying to break the tourqe converter bolts loose so I will try and pull the studs then or maybe not, I feel pretty safe with the clamps since I won't be going upside down for any reason.

Thanks for the help y'all.

Jim

I could only find one bolt long enough for the top so I improvised and used a gullwing truck from an old skate setup in the picture.

The engine held fine with just the top bolts in and I am able to spin it upside down with out any issue. If anything, it rocks into place once you spin it back around but it is still fairly solid...

post-26551-136027647953_thumb.jpg