Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Decking an EA82 Block or Not ?? Opinions or Insights

Hey Tycho,

None that I've found are MLS for the EA-82. If I want them, I'll have to make my own. I can get Viton sheet goods, haven't found a DIY spray...steel shim stock is doable.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

Hey Peter,

What did you decide to do with your block?

I got the passenger side, 1 and 3 done today...to this level on both of them.

picture.php?albumid=285&pictureid=3104

picture.php?albumid=285&pictureid=3105

Here's the Cortico Headgasket.

HG33210.jpg

Here's NOS Beck/Arnley, both sides. Stainless, graphite...bought about 3 years ago.

picture.php?albumid=285&pictureid=3106

Here's Beck/Arnley's current listing.

BA%25200351815-1.jpg

Victor Reintz current listing.

getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalog.mahleclevite.com%2Flv%2Fimages%2Fproducts_full%2F5714.jpg&imagekey=2651924-0&width=450

..I have had other priorities so I have done nothing to the block yet..final verdict will be up to the machine shop...I have never seen a cortec gasket of that color..might be old stock of 10-15 yrs old.. the type that would probably need re-torqueing...

• 4 weeks later...

All non-MLS gaskets benefit from a re-torque. Years ago on the ENDYN forums (or it could have been SpeedTalk) there was a FelPro engineer talking about the PermaTorque gaskets. He noted that while they do not require a re-torque, doing an overnight cold re-torque (much easier than a hot one) will increase gasket compression from 90% to over 95%. Definitely worth the small amount of extra effort, and still way easier than a hot re-torque.

"Creep or relaxation of the gasket material can be a practical problem. This is a particular consideration in joints subjected to temperatures greater than 100 °C. The amount of relaxation which can occur with gaskets is usually far greater than that which occurs in joints which do not contain such compliant materials. Because of the magnitude of bolt clamp force loss which can occur with gaskets, frequently a re-tightening schedule is specified 24 hours or more after initial tightening. The magnitude of the clamp force reduction due to gasket creep can be of such magnitude that is not feasible to design the bolts for this loss. To overcome this problem, re-tightening of the bolts can be specified after a period of time following initial tightening, frequently 24 hours."

He's talking about flanges, but it applies to head gaskets too. Subaru uses a conical spring washer under the head bolts to help combat this. But I've seen used ones nearly flat too, and those shouldn't be reused.

Hey Peter,

I've never used the Cortico...but I'm pretty sure some of the older Subaru head gaskets were asbestos with a coating.

Doug

"Creep or relaxation of the gasket material can be a practical problem. This is a particular consideration in joints subjected to temperatures greater than 100 °C. The amount of relaxation which can occur with gaskets is usually far greater than that which occurs in joints which do not contain such compliant materials. Because of the magnitude of bolt clamp force loss which can occur with gaskets, frequently a re-tightening schedule is specified 24 hours or more after initial tightening. The magnitude of the clamp force reduction due to gasket creep can be of such magnitude that is not feasible to design the bolts for this loss. To overcome this problem, re-tightening of the bolts can be specified after a period of time following initial tightening, frequently 24 hours."

He's talking about flanges, but it applies to head gaskets too. Subaru uses a conical spring washer under the head bolts to help combat this. But I've seen used ones nearly flat too, and those shouldn't be reused.

Hey Peter,

I've never used the Cortico...but I'm pretty sure some of the older Subaru head gaskets were asbestos with a coating.

Doug

...I don't know what kind of coating they used, but a long time ago my first subaru HG job was actually removing a tar like material from everywhere..it was even on the threaded part of the bolts..what a mess and I am very glad it's not like that anymore...