Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys just want some opinions I am going to tackle fixing my friends 2000 impreza rs he hit a curb at "unknown speeds" and right now looked like front control arm replacement possibly crossmember as well, rack, swap bar and endlink, struts all around ill be doing wheels. In the rear he hit the curb as well looked like it just needed a strut only.

Now reason I am thinking he needs a new crossmember is because the motor is sitting like a 1cm sideways id say. I am either going to swap in a crossmember from a 92 legacy turbo or I am thinking possible the bushing for the crossmember have been damaged. I am curious what others have found in similar repairs. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Edited by ericem

Guess no one experiences the hub being bent? The laterals and trailing arm show no signs of damage or bent just there is alot of positive camber even with a new strut its the same. It is hard to tell but it does appear the hub is bent I just wanted to hear someone else has experienced this or else I am thinking there is something else bent severely.

I've bent a hub or 2 before.

NO visible signs of damage, other than the camber was screwed, and the wheel/tire was rubbing on the strut.

Swapped in a new hub - aligned - and all was well again.

Note for the front damage

Check the control arm and inner tie rod end.

99.999% of the time with side impacts, these 2 items are toasted.

jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Just a update the rear is all straightened up replaced the bent hub and installed new strut perfect! Now back to the front.

Looks like the mount on the crossmember for the control arm is off by 1/2-1" . Also keep in mind the motor is actually sitting slightly sideways. The driveside of the engine is sitting slightly closer maybe 1/2" to the rad which makes no sense IMO. I am now wondering are the bolts bent or the crossmember itself?

How do I remove the bolts or studs I mean for the xmember just so I can atleast check them to see if they are straight?

so started working on it. Tried swapping the rear struts doesnt appear the strut is bent but possibly the hub. Anyone experience the hub being bent.

My experience with a VW was that when I curbed the car I put a warp in the hub.

The Consequence of this was that the warp would eventually radiate outwards and seed warpage of the rotors. I had several expensive brake jobs done before someone finally figured it out why.

Also if hit hard enough wheel bearing might be pooched as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So replaced the crossmember control arm and everything lined up but it appears the knuckle is warped.

I am wondering can I use a hub from a pre 99 which has the abs tone ring on the hub instead of the axle? Will they read the same voltage?