Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone have experience with General Altimax HP tires? They will go on 05 OB driven in the northeast.

Tire rack has them for $98 with $50 rebate for a set of four.

I am switching from Goodyear triple treads which are so noisy that I thought it was a wheel bearing but after the dealer (who would love the bearing work) and a friend who is a Lexus service manager both told me tires, I will replace the tires at about 50K miles and see what happens.

With four subes in the family now, it seems like one car or the other is ready for tire replacement in any given year.

I wish there was a sticky where members could post findings on tires. I'm always dubious of "reviews" on tire websites.

Never used that tire, however, there are plenty of reviews to be found on google, which might help you out, alot of my local suby guys use the continental ExtremeContact™ DW but they tend to be pricey but super tires.

Do you run dedicated winter tires at all?

If feasilble money wise, this is the best thing to do for many many reasons. This past winter, I'm on LI, winter tires were an absolute must. We got hammered.

Now, I myself did at one time have dedicated summers and winters but had to sell a set for some $$.

I now run the nitto neogens, 2nd set already, and interestingly enough, they did pretty darn good for a High Perfomance all season tire.

Got me through 14" without fuse.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for resurrecting a somewhat old thread but..

I am currently running a set of Altimax HP's on my 05 impreza wagon.

Great traction in rain, not bad in light snow, & overall I have been happy with them. The one catch, is that being a directional tire, it can only be rotated front back. If that doesn't suit your fancy, the Altimax RT's are a similar design with one side having the sipes inverted.

If I had to get another set (not for many more miles here :banana:) I would get the HP's again.

-flipswitch

I switched from a set of Goodyear Eagle RSA's that the car came with & noticed a great difference with the Altimax HP's. A set of Blizzaks if the weather turns really nasty & I don't want to slide.

those are the tires that were on my former 06 outback. terrible sidestepping in anything a little slick or worse. I hated them.

Bheinen - Did you have the HP or RT?

• 1 month later...

I had bookmarked this thread to take a look at in the future... sorry to revive it (again).

Brus Brother: did you end up going with the General HP's? My Triple Treads have about 50/55k on them and they are done. (Oddly enough I had a similiar noise, turned out to be a front bearing on mine though!)

I'm considering going down to a T-rated Yokohama TRZ, but was also looking at the Generals (HP/RT), as well as the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums. (I'm going to 255/55/17's which makes selection a bit tricky.)

The Kumho's have a $50 rebate, so I might end up with them, but I was interested if you chose anything yet.

Immediate family now owns 4 Subarus, so here's some tire feedback:

I ended up putting Yokahama Avids on my 08 OB last year. Not great in snow and a little noisy cornering.

The "noisy" 05 OB mentioned in the initial posting just got 4 new Kumho Ecsta LX tires. The alignment was off on 3 corners of that OB and since everyone else here was convinced there must be something else in the suspension causing the cupping on the Triple Treads, I had yet another shop check the car out and nothing else was found defective. In the end, I can't say whether it was the Triple Treads or the alignment but the cupping/noisy ride became intolerable for the wife (she then made it intolerable for me).

With the alignment done and new Kumho tires, the ride is now VERY quiet. I've yet to drive the Kumhos in winter yet. The other plus for the Kumho Ecsta LX is that it is non-directional and would allow for more flexibility in rotating tires. I was told by the installer that the Z rating would give me fewer miles on the tire.

I still wish there was a sticky for tires on USMB. It is an item that will predictably need replacement and I am more comfortable with the feedback here than on manufacturer's or retailer's websites.

Edited by brus brother