Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 - 94 auto trans have a 3.9 final drive ratio. that may be a little difficult to find since 95 - 99 auto trans have 4.11 for the ej22 and 4.44 for the ej25. but any non-turbo 92 - 94 should work.

or you can use one from an earlier or even later car as long as you use the matching rear diff. they all bolt in and work the same. (except for the speedo connection which i hear is an easy conversion.)

90 - 91 non-turbos have a 4.11 final drive. and turbos do not follow these rules, but i'm not sure what they are or aren't.

somewhere, there is a link to a page with all the ratios for the early 90s. it is part of http://www.experiencetherave.com i think.

i can change out the front carrier i am sure. cant i. even if i found one with a different ratio. would that increase my interchange options?

yes you can - swap out the front differential. it's quite an involved job though and the backlash has to be properly set or the gears will self destruct (seen it happen on the only front diff swap i saw attempted). it's a big job usually avoided, but it is possible and has been done.

a few folks, like Gloyale, have commented and even posted some pictures/details on the procedure. they are usually disassembling and reassembling though which is less of an issue since then you're *retaining* the backlash and not necessarily *setting* it.

you can also just swap in a rear differential to match. you would most likely end up with a 4.11 rear diff. those aren't hard to find and aren't worth much either. might be hard to find a good deal on one but they really aren't worth anything since they rarely fail, there's zero demand. i'd give you mine for $25 but shipping would kill it.

you could also install any AWD trans you wanted and install the FWD fuse or cut the Duty C solenoid wire (only one wire). this would also give you "FWD". and not even bolt up the rear half of the driveshaft. so the mismatched front and rear diff wouldn't even matter because it's not powering it or even connected at all. i've done this before.

next question. why is this transmisson so limited in only the 90-94 legacys? what changed in 95? was it just a sensor? and or how that sensor plugged in? what? some of the duty solenoids maybe?

Subaru's went OBDII in 1995, that's engine side of things but easily may have affected trans stuff too. how much, who knows.

looking at the pin outs might be the thing to do - compare the early ones to the later ones. my hard drive crashed, haven't uploaded all of my FSM's or i'd look at them real quick.

a guy down-under on the subaruxt.com forum swapped in a newer automatic transmission into an XT6 - and even older variant of the 4EAT transmission - the first "generation" so to speak. he never gave specifics, said he swapped wiring harness stuff, and was going to send me a write up on how he did it - but never did. i followed up multiple times and he never got back to me.

Edited by grossgary

****edit to add more info:

hocrest (also a member here and knows his stuff) also seems to suggest 90-98 should not incur too many glitches:

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=9526&start=0

you'll want to make sure final drive ratio is the same or swap the rear diff to match if it's different. i'm not sure about those early gen legacy's but most later legacy EJ22 auto's are 4.11 final drive ratio. yours is going to be 3.9 or 4.11.

this site suggests not too many differences between 1990-1998:

http://www.ecutune.com/4eat.htm

A subaru .pdf I found also mentioned 89-90 changes but nothing afterwards (but who knows when it was written).

Edited by grossgary

hocrest (also a member here and knows his stuff) also seems to suggest 90-98 should not incur too many glitches:

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=9526&start=0

you'll want to make sure final drive ratio is the same or swap the rear diff to match if it's different. i'm not sure about those early gen legacy's but most later legacy EJ22 auto's are 4.11 final drive ratio. yours is going to be 3.9 or 4.11.

ODBII (phase II 4eat) talks a LOT more between the TCU and the trans, compared with the ODBI (phase I 4eat) stuff. Nothing that a few resistors to fool the sensors couldn't fix, but more work than a phase I 4eat. A phase I 4eat is only looking for the tach wire from the ecu, nothing else, so it's really easy to swap those transmissions around. ODBII looks for several other sensors, but like I said you can figure out way to fool them since they aren't the complicated to figure out because they are early 1990's technology :lol:

Those articles gary linked to should have all the info you need. If not, I got them around somewhere as well I can post. If you search for "4eat paddle shifters" on the forum and look for the thread I started, it will have a TON of info about the phase I trans in it, and some links to some of the fsm pages, and other good info.

Hope that helps you some!

i have seen other cars such as impreza to part out. will these fit? such as a97? will it bolt up? then maybe i can deal with the sensor stuff.

impreza and legacy transmissions are interchangeable, though impreza's tend to have lower final drive ratios. an impreza *may* be more likely to have 3.9's instead of my Legacy's with the 4.11's. still interchangeable, just different final driver ratio - would have to swap the rear diff.....or front!!! AH!!!: :eek:

let me say so far thanks for all the help so far. on sunday the cooler hose for the trans blew and lost more fluid. and the trans now slips going forward. great. so it isnt being driven again. but reverse came back. so if my wife could learn to drive backwards at 55mph. we wouldnt have a worry. yeah right.

anyway i guy emailed me asking if a 98 forester trans would work for me. from the link about a 98 trans is a phase 2 and would need wiring and computer. but it was also stated above about resistors to fool the computer.

what size resistors. what would each one hook to and all of that. i barely know what as resistor is. it limits voltage.

i'm going to stay with my 3.9 and just swap out the whole transmission unit to matchmy rear. it should be a piece of cake. ring and pinions arent real hard to do if you happen to take them apart. but i am hoping i can do a whole front case swap kind of thing. i dont know i havent seen it in person. only diagrams of the transsmissions and the front ring and pinion.

well there are always the unexpected things. but i think i can do it. shims and crush bearings arent to bad of a deal.

it is safer and less likely to ruin your new trans to swap the matching rear diff.

there is a current thread of some one who just did a front diff swap only to swap it back. apparently he was afraid it would self destruct if he hadn't done it right.

i'm sure it can be done, but i would never attempt it myself. way too much chance for an expensive mistake.

i'd hold out for the correct matching trans if i was you.