Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine idles low then stalls out

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

k thanks for the info and how many quarts of oil will i need ,,,just pull the plug drain oil and put on new oil filter

Umm, just an oil change.

Pull the drain plug, oil filter. Put new filter on, put plug back on.

It's something like 4.5qt of oil. I don't remember the exact number out of the manual... 4.5 is close enough

Regular oil change.

Or you can clean the motor out...

ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid is a detergent..

You can drain your oil and put ATF in where you would put oil, just the normal amount (3.5-4.5qts) leave your old oil filter on, start your motor and run it, keep it alive, run it a few times, do this for about 15 minutes, or a little longer, just dont drive it forever like this.

Drain the ATF out, let it all drain out for a few minutes, remove your oil filter, let it basically just drain out etc.

Then slap new oil filter on (Ive used Bosch or Mobil filters), put new oil (I use mobil non synthetic or Chevron oil (blue container)

I did this with my EA81 with GD and that car ran a lot better.

ATF has crazy detergents... The bucket I've done a million oil changes in had a lot of nasty sludge in the bottom of it. After servicing my transmission I had ATF sitting in the bucket for a little bit before I put it in bottles. In that short time it ate all the gunk off the bucket and left it perfectly clean. I was pretty amazed!

i did find a canister on the left front hand side that has 3 hoses conected to it and on the bottom it was not connected to anything and i can find where the hose is subbosed to connect ill take a pic of it tom if i cant find where it goes

Thats the emissions canister, most likely your issue, or at least part of it. Make sure all the hoses are connected to it, post a picture if you arent really sure, but where it connects shouldnt be too difficult to see (maybe in the dark it will be or if its covered in mud)

ya all three hoses are connected on top and the bottom one is connected to the canister and just hanging...also i cleaned off all the plugs and made a piece of paper towl into a point and cleaned out where you screw in the plugs...i had a bit of white smoke coming out of the exhaust for a min then it stopped and a little bit of water was coming out....

also the 4th and 5th picture are a picture of a fan,is that fan supposed to turn on when i turn on the ac or heater,what is its purpose it doesnt turn on

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n628/dannoo93/

The fan comes on when the radiator gets up to some preset temperature. Probably somewhere between 190 and 205 deg.

I don't want to come across harsh here, but I advise reading about some basic car maintenance, how the systems work, etc. All of this is covered on here, other websites. Just google around.

Everything you're looking for is out there. And in the process of searching you'll find something you weren't looking for, read it, and gain more knowledge.

by the way i have done some searching already on here and google im asking the questions that i cant find the answers too...like just a few min ago my car was running fine went to go drive it and it stalled out again now wont start back up...what do you think it could be ive gone over the whole engine making sure all hoses are connected only thing i havent done is cahnge the oil because i want to put atf in first but its not even turning over now...so im gonna clean out where the spark plugs plug in and replace the plugs with new ones

Good idea, another thing.

Do you have Haynes repair manual? Might check that your distributor and wires are all lined up correctly and go to the right spark plug. Im sure if you were closer I could help figure it out, but youre a bit of a trek from me.

The timing could be off.

The distributor may have been soaked

Several things coulda gone wrong, but try the spark plugs and atf and oil change first.

If you've been driving your car around this long with water in the crank case. You've ruined it. No idea why you're hell bent on ATF in your oil. Just change it...

When you change your plugs, get NGK ones. Good idea to put new wires, cap, and rotor at the same time. A full ignition tune up. Use subaru or NGK wires.

Make sure you take mental note, make a diagram, whatever it takes to get the wires back on the right place on the cap.

When you turn the key do you hear a click from the engine bay? Noting? Do you hear the fuel pump come on? What exactly is going on here?

i have all the plugs in the right spots and everything and number guy i have not been driving it around so please just shut up...if ur not gonna help then please quite telling me stuff...i drove it for maybe 30 miles sense i was in the water...i drove it home that was it...it turns over but its not egniting

everytime i post something you keep saying the same thing well you have water in there i know that already and im working on that i have not driven it since the day it happened and i dont appreciate you talking to me like im a FING idiot...im new to this i used to be a gamer and a modder and i lost interest so i sold my games and have moved on now im trying to learn this