Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No reverse in EA82 5mt

Alright everyone, I need some help. I've got a 1986 GL (EA82, 5mt, d/r 4wd), and I haven't had reverse lights since I bought it back in January. That's a bit of a pain when you're trying to back up at night, so I finally traced the problem to the switch on the tranny and bought a new one from rockauto (part# LS236, which it lists as being compatible with my car). Today, I installed the switch and eagerly tried to put it in reverse so I could see those lights pop on and feel that satisfaction of fixing something. Well, turns out the shifter wouldn't go into reverse - it was solidly blocked by something, though all five forward gears were fine. I took the switch back out, and then realized that the plunger on it was over twice the length of the old one, meaning that it stuck much further into the transmission. So I assumed this was the problem, put the old one back in, and called rockauto about returning it.

Later, after finishing a bit of work that involved timing belts, water pump, coolant flush, and the like, I took it out for the typical test drive. After backing it out of the driveway, I took it about two miles down the road before pulling into a street to turn around. But suddenly I couldn't shift into reverse, much like when I had the new switch in. I managed to swing around thanks to the thing's amazing turning radius and took it back home. I've tried everything I can think of, and it still will not go into reverse.

I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas? I have not messed with the linkages as it does not tell me how in my Haynes manual and I have little experience in that area. Does doing so require dropping the trans, or can I do it from underneath? And what else could be blocking it? Thanks in advance!

I tried messing with the linkages this morning still had the same problem. After work, I went back out and started playing with it, and it went right into reverse using the shifter (???). I drove it around without a problem, and it still goes into R. Now I'm just waiting for it to do it again... :-\