Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh crap...that wasn't very smart.

Just a little advise for the rookies out there whe are pulling and reinstalling their Subaru motor.. I just put my 00 2.5 legacy motor in and when I put it back in I did not put the cover back on the bottom of the motor that covers the clutch/flywheel. I figured I would do it once installed. Well that was not a very smart move. You can not access it once the motor is in. I did not realize this before completely finishing my install. It was not a hard fix, but time consuming. Had to jack the motor back out of the mounts to get to it.

Anyways.. Do not forget to install the cover before putting the motor back. I won't ever forget that again.

I feel your pain having done that. A pain, but I just loosen the motor mount nuts, so that they are still a little attached. Jack the motor up and then attach plate.

At least not as bad as the why I have this extra bolt syndrome!

In my case turned out it was the lowest of the crank case bolts

in rear of the engine. Yes, it leaked like a sieve when I started it. Not only did I have to pull the motor, but crack the block so that I could reseal it!

After that fiasco I labeled and bagged everything

O.

Now that would of put me over the edge, no resealing here just some extra time. At least the motors in, and 0 leaks! And started with a tap of the key, just like it was never out... Accept the idle was very low..but seems to better after letting it run for a while. I'm guessing it was from having the battery unhooked for a month. Now I just have to order a knock sensor, it was bad before I started this project, I thought it would mysteriously fix itself.

Well anyway, glad I'm not the only one who did this, but hope someone who reads this does not make this mistake.

I also mark and label everything, my black sharpie is one of my most used tools, I mark everything. Re installing the motor only took about 2 hrs alone. No guessing and no left over parts.

Geo

Edited by Rpm90001

Well i live in NY and with the winters and the salt it is not something I wanted to leave open. I figure is Subaru put it there is is there for a reason. Living In The rust belt of the US I figured it was smart to install it. Not to mention it would just bug the he'll out of me.

It's not the first mistake I have made in my years.. A few years ago I thought my f150 clutch was slipping at certain rpms and under load. I bought a new clutch from ford, took the tranny out and replaced clutch and pp. The one I took out looked great, I started to get a little worried. Got it back in and took it for a ride hoping for the best..well still the same. A few days later I got in some heavy rain and it was slipping again like crazy... Then it hit me...that night I popped the hood and I had a bad spark plug wire. It was arcing like crazy. Changed the plug wires and it ran better than it ever has... Another leson learned.

Edited by Rpm90001

Mine's been missing for 5+ years now with no clutch or other issues. Whoever pulled the engine last time left it off. When I did a 2.2 swap, I didn't realize it was supposed to be there until it was all back together. I don't do any off roading or anything though. The clearance between the crossmember and the engine is pretty tight- a stone or something would have to be thrown forwards and up to get in there.