Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How is this a water pump?

I have been searching around for a car for my dad for awhile. Finally found one that I think he will like, and was discussing with the owner the issues it has to negotiate a price and get it home for working on :banana:

She was given a $500 quote from a Subaru dealership on a replacement water pump (parts and labor)

So I asked for the symptoms, fearing that it was more a headgasket issue that was being hidden by a "oh replace the waterpump and youll be fine" kinda disaster.

She says "when in first gear, accelerating, its really slow and chuggy, and when you're stopped at a light, you have to give it extra gas or it will die"

Im thinking fuel pump, fuel filters, timing and tune-up... Not water pump.

Am I wrong? Could the water pump cause an issue like this? Im thinking water pump means overheating, not "chugging"

Not possible for a water pump.

i say first thing you do if/when you buy it is clean the IAC and do a NGK plugs and OEM dealer wires and see how that does. Subaru fuel pumps usually fail one way...... Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....dead :lol:

maybe another option beyond that is bad fpr... brother's wrx did that so we replaced fuel pump... with a walbro 255... real smart. we THEN checked the fuel pressure and it had 130PSI!!!!!! :eek:

Sweet :) This should be a good purchase then.

I am curious to see the printout she received.

I wonder if she went in for this problem, they couldnt get the symptoms to happen, but found out it needs a water pump or something?

Dont want my repairs to out do the value of the car lol.

I check it out Saturday, so hopefully I bring it home and let you guys know :banana: