Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale AT fluids in the radiator??

I was pulling the oil pump to check it and redoing the timing belts, so I decided to pull the radiator to get at the front of the engine easier. I drained the coolant with the valve on the Passenger side of the radiator, Then I noticed there were two small hoses (1/2"ish) going to the driver's side of the Radiator... When i pulled the hoses reddish /brownish oil drained out... Is this AT tranny fluid? That's my best guess anyway.

On a side note... when I drained the oil there were very small particles of coolant in it. Like 1mm beads... I know that it probably means I need to resurface the heads but there was no oil in the coolant... Hrmmm.

On another side note; How do you test the oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster? can the gauge handle a direct jump to the battery? And would an improperly installed oil pan (translated LOOSE) cause an apparent lack of oil pressure?

Hoping to get back on the road some day. :-\

I wouldn't bother "testing" the oil warning light, and if you did want to I'd probably just try earthing it as I'm pretty sure this is what the sender unit does... If there's no light it's probably dead if all fuses are good.

If you do a head gasket you won't get oil in the radiator but you will get coolant in the oil. If you drained your oil just after warming up the engine (to get best drain off of the oil) the oil will appear milky to some degree. Are you sure that you haven't contaminated your oil drain with some residual coolant that was left hanging somewhere on the bottom of the engine/chassis rail etc?

AFAIK your tranny fluid should be red/pink. If it's brown you're definitely due for a change - either new fluid or a manual :rolleyes::P

Cheers

Bennie