Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Subaru folks,

Can anybody recommend tires for an Outback?

One thing I noticed when I put my old tires on my new Subaru is when driving around tight curves I hear some squealing/ screeching from the brakes. This is most likely due to the stresses/strains that are being put upon the wheels due to the centripetal acceleration. I've put a lot of money into calipers for my previous Subaru because they had a tendency to fail like only after 10-15k miles and I'm thinking that the tires may have a lot to do with it.

Any thoughts?

--Damien

I've always had good luck with Goodyear tires. I had them on my Camaro, my pickup, my Jeep and now my Outback. I think mine were about $450 for the set a couple years ago. They're great in the rain and snow, road noise isn't to bad and 30k later the tread still looks new. They probably still have another 60k left in them and will outlast the rest of the car (96 with 160k on it). Additionally Goodyear is mostly made in the US or Canada.

I recently put a set of tires on my 99 OBW w/ 15" wheels. I went to a larger tire size, going to size 215X70X15, from 205X70X15 OEM size. I would recommend the 215 size. It jacks up the car almost an inch, with no rubbing, and lays down a little wider foot print. I bought the Yokohama AVID TRZ tires. They drive and handle well, but have very stout sidewalls. They ride a little rough, like having too much air in the tires. Even running at 32 psi in the tires, I now feel every small bump and imperfection in the road.

A friend put Yokohama AVID Touring S tires on her van. They drive nice and smooth, but I would think not as performance oriented as my AVID TRZ tires.