Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm thinking about recharging the A/C in my Outback but there seem to be many pitfalls and caveats associated with doing just that...

Does the refrigerant used have to be of a special kind? I understand that it is supposed to have a lubricant pre-mixed in...

Also, is moisture buildup a problem in those A/C systems? If so, is it a simple matter to purge from the system?

What else could go wrong...?

Thanks for your replies.

--Damien

Firstly - why recharge? If its working properly there is no reason to recharge.

If it isn't blowing cold you need to find out why.

Its not complex to do but you need some tools. If you don't have any tools you will need some gauges at least.

Then depending on how much of an investment in tools you want to make you can buy more.

The existing freon will need to be purged. You can buy a tool to do this for about 500 bucks. Or have an A/C shop recover the freon for a charge.

Then you need to open the system/replacing seals and add oil to the components in liquid form or pressurized in a can after the system is re-sealed.

Then you need to pull a vacuum - you need a vacuum pump - either buy or borrow from autozone.

Then recharge.

Basically, the process is too involved to post a solution on here. You need to buy the Haynes book on Auto A/C and study it till you are comfortable that you know what you are doing.

That is why there arn't too many posts on this subject - you need to understand how A/C systems work before you can safely do any repairs..

I bought the book and most of the tools I mentioned but that was an investment for the future - its expensive!

Steve

geez...for all that the average driver would seem better off forking up the $139.95 at the McBealership.

--Damien

----

"If you do not have a gravity torque compression hex assembly controller module...a simple screwdriver will do."

Because I rarely have a need to touch an AC system, I just farm it out to shop as long as it isnt a compressor, then I will do it and let a shope service it.

I can get hit with a 20,000.00 fine for just dumping it to the air, so It's just easier to do it

Booo Nipper, you're better than that! lol

Steve

i know ... but that vaume pump is damn expensive for how often i would use it.

Funny how far we have come, AC used to be a very troublesome system, now it lasts almost as long as the car.

i know ... but that vaume pump is damn expensive for how often i would use it.

Funny how far we have come, AC used to be a very troublesome system, now it lasts almost as long as the car.

No, I meant how you were discharging Freon into the atmos!

Maybe there was a miscommunication!

Steve

No, I meant how you were discharging Freon into the atmos!

Maybe there was a miscommunication!

Steve

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no no no no never not since it has been discovered how bad it is. Thats why i pay someone to do that part.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no no no no never not since it has been discovered how bad it is. Thats why i pay someone to do that part.

But getting back to your original statement.....

My buddy had a 3 year old car when his A/C started blowing cold - it was a seal on the compressor. Even nowadays its happens unforch :(

Good to know about that side of things as well - imho.

Steve

I don't want to start a flame war here, but isn't alot of the scary stuff written about servicing automotive a/c sytems just a bunch of bull? I mean, I remember when we had to switch from R12 to 134a it was said over and over that the Entire a/c system had to be replaced before you could do the conversion.

Then, a few yrs later it was said that you only had to switch the condenser and the dryer. Well, now a days, I know for a fact you don't have to switch anything to do the conversion, because I've loaded 134a into several r12 systems, and it works fine.

It is a good idea to put a vacuum on the system to evacuate as much moisture and old stuff as you can before you load in the PAG, but just because those two oils will mix, doesn't mean your cars gonna explode. They simply occupy the same space which makes the system less efficient, but still adequate, IMO.

Anyway. This thread reminds me of "the old days" when the automotive a/c industry was laying down so much propaganda about amateurs servicing they'r own systems, no body wanted to even attempt it.

And as far as leaks, they all leak. Even when they'r new. Just at different rates, of course. Replacing seals is a good idea, but really, you might get lucky and your system will hold a sufficient amount of refrigerant for 5 or 10 yrs.

I say go for it. Head on down to Wally World, pick up a can of 134a and that loading hose they sell for about twelve bucks, run you a/c on full blast and let er rip.

Edited by markjw

And to the original poster, just so there is no confusion, your system doesn't have Freon in it. Freon is Dupont's trade name for r12. And, it was banned for automobile use in the mid nineties. Your system is charged with 134a. So, a recharge is a piece of cake. I wouldn't worry too much about adding oil unless the system is completely drawn down, in which case, you would need about 30 oz's of refrigerant and 4 oz's of the PAG oil.

And as a warning, everything I know about automobile a/c systems, which ain't much, I learned off the internet, reading manuals and doing my own work. I'm no professional. So, do your own research and make your own decisions.