Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For the first time since I purchased this vehicle new, the check engine light on my 2002 Legacy L Wagon M/T w/112k mi, came on a few days ago and has stayed on. I did try several times to take off/on the gas cap, but to no avail. The vehicle seems to be running just fine, but don't want to ignore it for too long. Does this warrant a trip to the dealer and how much should it cost to check the codes? I heard Autozone can pull the codes for free. Should I go there first? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Free is good. Stop by Autozone and have the codes read. Then you'll have the answer you need as to what the next step will be.

Why pay someone $$$ to plug an ODB II reader in?

BTW at 112k you should have already done the timing belt and other 105k service.

Edited by Suzam

The autozone I went to a few times just gave me the scan tool and let me do it myself in the parking lot. Write down the code(s) then clear them all to see if they come back. I had a cel come on after replacing some items. I cleared the code and the light never came back on. Just a weird glitch I guess.

Thanks for the responses, I'll plan on running over to Autozone so they can plug in their OBD-II. BUT...the check engine light is off this morning. Can they only obtain a code if the check engine light is NOT on? Can they obtain a code from some kind of memory which caused the light to come on yesterday?

Everyone should have their own code reader...

my gosh, they are only $45-$60 dollars. Reading a code shouldn't be sich a big deal.

A code reader should be given away w/ each new car purchase... never mind, that's never going to happen

w/ a code reader maintaining a car has never been easier, but then shops would loose out on a full half of their repairs.

AAA figures that a full 50% of ALL repairs are unneeded. I believe that % is correct... maybe even a bit low.

I know mine will lose the code when the problem is corrected.. Example. P0325 knock sensor in my 2000 legacy replaced and drove it to the cottage 50+ miles away, checked it with the scanner when I got there and if was gone. My scanner is older actron, it did not bring up the old code, as long as it is corrected I believe they disappear.