Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2nd Gen Brat Gasket Kit questions

Hi everybody, I'm still working on my brat and I need a full gasket set. I bought one from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-94-SUBARU-LOYALE-XT-RX-GL-1-8L-FULL-GASKET-SET-EA82-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aBratQQhashZitem5d2c410956QQitemZ400174418262QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but my mechanic friend saw it and he said that that kit is too "cheap quality" and recomend to me to buy another kit.

the one on ebay is for a EA82 engine but in the compatibility list appears the brat, so I suppoused that it will work on my EA81 brat... is this correct?

anyways, I have to buy another set, better quality... anybody knows where I can find one?

thanks! :banana:

Dealer. There is a reason Subaru dealer costs slightly more: It fits, it is correct, and it is of good quality. You are only going to shorten the life of your Brat if you use sub standard parts.

It deserves better, and the cost is well worth it.

"but my mechanic friend saw it and he said that that kit is too "cheap quality" and recomend to me to buy another kit"

the mechanic is educated, i wouldnt use it either. He wants oem quality. Not many mechanics will stand by shoddy products...if it looks like junk, it is junk.

No - if it's for an EA82 it WILL NOT work on a Brat. Brat's have EA81's - completely differenent engine. You shouldn't beleive everything they say on ebay.

Get the Fel-Pro head gaskets (Autozone, Rockauto, etc). BUY EVERYTHING ELSE FROM THE DEALER. There is no suitable alternative. Trust me.

GD

Ebay sells lots and lots of stuff saying exact fit for Brat, Fits BRAT, etc, when they are not even for the ea81.....you have to know this.

unless someone swapped motors, you should go to dealer and give vin. If you give vin to dealer (and no one swapped motors) you wil get the right parts.

where I live, the dealers charge you some times 4 or 5 times the costs of the same part if you buy it in the US, and they have a very limited stock of EA81 parts, so I have to look on ebay or someplace else in the US and import it.

OK, EA82 gaskets doesn't work on EA81, I will try to sell it around here to get some $$$ hahaha... I'm looking a ISHINO japanese kit on http://www.autopartswarehouse.com , I'm waiting for the credit card aprobation.

thanks for your answers