Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Location of second fuel filter?

sorry i cant tell you where, but my dad used to have a Subaru way back in the day, and i just bought one and he was telling me he could have swore there was 2 fuel filters too, but the manual only shows one and he cant remember where it is. cause im having problems with bogging in mine

I can't find anything that looks like that filter anywhere in the engine compartment. The only thing that even looks like it has lines going to my carb is this:

Jj3z7l.jpg

and heres one a little more far away for reference

uq5cTl.jpg

Heres a shot of the drivers side of the engine compartment by the strut tower:

ZzmsMl.jpg

I really don't know where the filter is, perhaps someone bypassed it? That would be really dumb but you can't put stuff past anyone these days.

Ah yes - the 80/81 under-hood pump. It seems like many of these were converted - maybe by the dealer? :confused:

You may have a weak fuel pump - I've seen a number of those under-hood pump setups that have been replaced. The factory Subaru fuel pumps develop very little pressure (about 1.5 to 2.5 psi) and when they get old..... you might want to check volume and pressure on it. Could be that the filter wasn't the only issue.

GD

Ah yes - the 80/81 under-hood pump. It seems like many of these were converted - maybe by the dealer? :confused:

You may have a weak fuel pump - I've seen a number of those under-hood pump setups that have been replaced. The factory Subaru fuel pumps develop very little pressure (about 1.5 to 2.5 psi) and when they get old..... you might want to check volume and pressure on it. Could be that the filter wasn't the only issue.

GD

Really? That is good to know, I will have to find my fuel pressure tester and give it a look, what psi is it supposed to run at?

About 1.5 to 2.5 psi. I think I said that......

You will need a VERY accurate gauge.

GD

You're right you did I'm sorry I have a lot on my mind, I appreciate all the information and appreciate you repeating it haha.

I can't find my pressure tester anywhere :-\ I don't think it was good enough to test that small of a number anyway.

I think maybe even the filter was originally under the hood without one by the tank. I can't remember that far back on my hatch, but it seems like every '81 I have seen at the very least had the filter converted back by the tank.

GD

Additionally, the under hood pump does a lot more pulling of fuel than pushing (pushing is better, that is at least one of the main reasons it was relocated by the gas tank in later models). Conceiveably, an underperforming pump located under the hood may work adequately when relocated by the gas tank.

Anecdotally, I have never had a problem with the under hood pump on my hatch over the past 6 years. However, once I had to prime the fuel line with a Mityvac after I pulled the gas tank. It's an easy switch to move the pump, and (hopefully someone can verify this) but I think the '81s had in-line vapor separator(s).

Also that wierd black canister with the two vacuum lines is an air cleaner that I think kept dirt out of the duty solenoids. I think they have a reed check valve mechnism, and it's almost guaranteed that it is not functioning properly, not to mention the duty solenoids.