Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a 99 OBW Limited running with bad HG's, what a surprise.

Rebuilt a different motor and dropped it in and now it will crank and spark, but won't fire.

I've been racking my brain on this one, but nothing so far.

Crank sensor, cam sensor, and the rear knock sensor have been swapped back to the originals.

Swapped the coil between 2 different ones, no difference.

All original intake bits were left in, MAF included.

O2 sensor is the same.

Have a different intake, TPS, whatever that sensor is on the pass side of the TPS, fuel bars, injectors, and vacuum module on the driver's side of the TPS as well as the rest of the bits included with an intake.

Timing is dead on, as checked before and after installation.

I've just about cried over this car, please help...

***EDIT*** It will almost fire on the first and/or second revolution after letting it sit for 15 min or more.

Flooring it doesn't help.

The TPS or something near it Buzzes when the throttle is pressed with the key on but the engine isn't running.

I've tried it without accesory belts attached, and pretty much everything I can do by myself.

/end edit

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
MOAR DETALES!

Or that there is gas in the car. I have had a few that sat for a period of time, towed them to the shop to rebuild them and the gas needle is where it was when parked but the gas evaporated and the level sensor doesn't move until you fill it up again. Strange but its happened two or three times now.

You could also try spraying some carb cleaner into the throttle body and seeing if it backfires or verify that you have spark with another plug wire and spark plug.

are the engines from the same year of car? i did an engine swap once and the engine i put in had a newer style of cam wheel on it with sensor teeth all around it instead of the older style with only a few this requires swapping of the wheel itself simple fix. IIRC it will be the drivers side pully that has the sensor.

Fuel is gerring there, verified that with unintentionally spraying fuel across the engine bay when I pulled the fuel line.

I haven't disassembled the other engine, so I'm going to check timing and make sure I didn't set one side 180* out or something stupid like that.

Thanks for the suggestions, only prob is I've check all of them except for this last one with the pulleys.

This is a 99' so I'd expect it to use the multi sensor pulley, but I'm going to check that anyway when I pull the timing covers.

Thanks again,

Twitch

Spray starter fluid into the throttle body (when open) and see if it turns over briefly. That'll let you know if it's a fuel delivery issue.

If you have fuel, spark and air then you might be looking at timing.