Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 A/C problems

Hey all

AC on my wagon isn't working and I was planning on running it across country in about 2 weeks.

On Sat we tried the charge it up and see what happens method and the AC got quite cold. We then let it sit for an hour and the took it out to run an errand - nothing. Not even cool - closer to warm.

Decided to run it into a shop today and have them evaluate. Their answer is replace everything except the hoses. But . . . . .

Basically the silica pack in the receiver I guess is in some sort of containment bag. That bag has ruptured spreading the absorbent particles through out my system. They said it probably can't be cleaned out of the evap and condenser, and my compressor is probably shot too. That said, it took them forever to figure out what was wrong because it doesn't seem to have a leak. It was showing fine on the High side and lower than it should be on the low side. Meaning there is a restriction on the system and they ended up determining that this particle is the restrictor.

Anyone ever seen this before and solved it without having to replace the whole system? I would think that enough air pressure through the evap and condenser would push it out and some cleaner would finish the job, although I guess I am assuming that the line in the condenser and evap is a continuous snake through both and not some sort of grid that I could end up with only one pathway cleat. I would also assume that somewhere I can get my hands on a rebuild kit for the comp and clean that out. Obviously the receiver has to be replaced.

Any ideas would help - oh and we noticed the the compressor was making a lot of noise at idle that would let up if you gave it some gas. Hope it all makes enough sense. Probably end up driving it across anyway but with my wife and kid along we might be driving at some interesting times of day.

Yes this happens and find another shop. Depending upon the condition, it can all be flushed out. It may have damaged the compressor.

How did you fill the system? Why did you fill it and did you use a set of AC gauges? Sometimes it is just coincidence after you do something other times it is due to the repair.

Let's call this a learning experience - I should have known better.

Anyhow, the refill was because I had no cold and the AC comp wasn't kicking on. After we added the first can the comp kicked in and seemed to get full with the first can. The comp was making a lot of noise though and my dad thought something was stuck b/c when he revved it up the noise went away and the pressure went down. We then added two more cans. The shop too 1 lb 11 oz out - and then put it back in ?????? before giving me my car back - good news they only charged 50 for it all.

note - this was a kit thing so 'ac gauges' consisted of a low side gauge. Hindsight is 20/20. After the fact research has taught me that since it hadn't been working in years and I was putting in not r12 but a substitute I really should have replaced the receiver/drier/thing. Probably won't be approach the next AC problem with quite the same naivety.

Anyone know a really good ac shop in the SE chigacoland area??