Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tire time, what size?

have an 88 gl wagon, and its needing tires like something fierce. it has 175/70s on it now, and they just look sadly too small. so i was thinking some 185/70s? oh and does my car have thsese rear torsion bars i can crank up like everyone talks aabout? or was that the older style

have an 88 gl wagon, and its needing tires like something fierce. it has 175/70s on it now, and they just look sadly too small. so i was thinking some 185/70s? oh and does my car have thsese rear torsion bars i can crank up like everyone talks aabout? or was that the older style

Your car is a EA82 and doesn't have torsion bars.

Thanks, the car was in great shape until I ran it into a concreate median going 70mph down the freeway :rolleyes:

Here's its current state:

DSCF0001.jpg

I loved that car. Oh well... :mad:

The tires are only about an inch bigger, so there was no real power loss. Granted it was a turbo ea82, so there is a little more power :lol:, but I did not notice any real difference in "performance".

The tires are cheap if you can find them. These were les schwab "winter force" snow tires. I liked them. They at least filled up the wheel well a little bit better. They are getting harder and harder to find in the bigger 13" size though. Took me a little while to hunt them down when I got them a few years back.

Good luck finding the tires man!

I would love to have found 185/80s, but they just aren't readily available at the local tire shops I do business with.

I'm currently running 185/70 R13 Kumho Solus. I'm happy with them.

Not the best pic, but here's a shot with the those tires.

downsized_0711111151-1.jpg