Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys I just have two quick questions if anyone has answers i would greatly appreciate it. first off how can i test my MAF Sensor too see if its working properly? i have an obd2 scan tool with diagnostics if thats whats needed? and my second question is how do you plug/unplug your Check engine light on your gauges. i have reason to believe mine was unplugged or something after the 2.2 swap was done because the egr is disconected and closed off and i read that that will throw a cel all the time.. also i was wondering why exactly did he close off the EGR thing when he did the 2.2 swap?thank you

Scott

Edited by Scotty1419

Checking the CEL bulb is easy. Does it turn on for the bulb test when you start the engine?

The reason you have no CEL for the EGR might be because the car didn't come with EGR.

Year, model, and transmission type will help narrow that down.

Not sure what you're looking for as far as testing the MAF. You must be having some sort of running issue (hesitation, lack of power, stumbling) to suspect the MAF is faulty?

MAF sensors are not a common failure, but generally if there is an issue with the MAF, it will set a code which should show up in a scan with your reader.

hi thanks for responding, no the bulb doesnt turn on when i start the engine. and my car is a 1998 subaru legacy gt limited edition. with the TZ102Z2DCA-KE automatic transmission type. the engine in the car is a 95 2.2l engine thats all i know about it.

Ok sounds like the bulb is either burnt out or has been removed. You'll have to pull the instrument cluster out to change it. It's fairly simple. You remove the screws from the trim 2 on in the top two in the bottom, pull it out, unplug the switches, and set it of the way. Move the steering wheel as far down as it will go to get it out. The cluster is held in by I think 4 screws in the corners, remove those and pull it out, you may have to turn it some to reach your hand around back to unplug the connectors.

Your car did some with an EGR on the original 2.5. Why it's blocked off on the 2.2, might be plugged up or the valve may be faulty. I'd unblock it, (get a new gasket from a dealer) and pug it back in and see what happens.