Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nobody wanted to buy my Legacy wagon, so I picked up a junkyard 2.2 to throw in instead of trying to make the 2.5 work. The wagon is a 98 GT 5-sp, and the donor is a 97 wagon with a 5sp. Other than the lack of EGR. What else needs attention before I throw it in? And yeah, I searched. And I read. And all I could glean was the tensioner needs changing, but nobody really specifies why it needs changing. It Sucks really isn't a reason!

I grabbed the Y-pipe too. What abotu accesories? Steering pump/alt/a/c compressor? The lines were all cut when they extracted the 2.2, but I have ALL the electronics, save for the alt.

Edited by papalobster

All the accessories from the EJ25 should bolt straight on to the EJ22 - so if you've got air con you should be able to remove the compressor from the engine, swing and tie it off in the battery tray then remove the EJ25 and re-install it on the EJ22 once you've got it in the engine bay. Same for the Power Steering pump. The alternator will be interchangeable as well.

It's all like lego! The AC will most likely have one bolt bottom rear that is a real PITA - persistence is the trick with this one!

Cheers

Bennie

every thing in this thread EXCEPT the stuff about the torque converter.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1037806#post1037806

the tensioner isn't requied to be changed, but with an interference engine it is smart to do ALL the timing components, belt, all idlers, tensioner and water pump, before you install the engine. also re-seal the oil pump on the front and the oil sep plate on the back. that way once installed you are good for 100k miles. and since you have no idea when the timing belt on the new engine is due, do it now.

but you can always install the engine just like you bought it and take your chances.

but for the added cost of the ''subaru timing kit'' from ''theimportexperts'' on ebay you get a reliable engine and it's not that much more.

Edited by johnceggleston