Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clunking sound on acceleration. 86 brat.

i get a popping/clunking sound when i accelerate. it doesnt do it if im real easy on it. i just replaced driver side inner and outer tie rods , but it did it before too. went over to bratman's ( i bought it from him ) and we went over it and everything appears to be tight in the front end. any ideas ? thanks

Axles. DOJ to be exact, side closest to the trans. My loyale did the same thing. Clunk/popping on acceleration but not after I got up to speed, and didn't if I was easy on it, and not in corners. Everything solid up front as well, nothing stood out. Replace the axle, no more funny sounds!

Thought mine were fine too. Several months later and trying to figure it out, finally swapped the axle, noise went away.

Why do you think they are fine? Even new reman axle can do this same thing. Unless you replaced them with OEM, I would suspect the axles...

Thought mine were fine too. Several months later and trying to figure it out, finally swapped the axle, noise went away.

Why do you think they are fine? Even new reman axle can do this same thing. Unless you replaced them with OEM, I would suspect the axles...

I consider them fine, because it does not feel like the axle. I drove it last night. I have had more bad axles than I could even count, and this does not feel like a bad axle, or sound like one. Like I said, it's hard to explain the symptom.

Try checking the tranny mounts if you haven't all ready. Pain to change but it fixed the hammering on my Brat

Shawn

I checked them. The rubber is quite flexible, but they aren't broken. And it's a little more involved on this to change the tranny mounts as it is a custom mount for the 5 spd dual range swap.

• 4 weeks later...