Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plastic seperator plate on EJ22T ?!?!

Pulled the tranny from my '91 sport sedan yesterday. Besides the clutch being down to the rivet heads it also had a massive oil leak from it's PLASTIC seperator plate. A yellow plastic seperator. I've seen the yellow one's before on '95 EJ22's, etc.....

My engine came from a '93 or '94 turbo touring wagon.

What I'm wondering is...... does this mean it wasn't the original engine in the TTW it came from? Could it have been replaced by the dealer in the mid-90's under warrantee and thus have been an EJ22T block that was produced after they switched to the plastic plates?

Or did some late production EJ22T's actually get plastic plates?

More of a curiosity question than anything - but I know for a fact that '96 EJ25D's still had the aluminium plates so it seems totally backward to find a plastic one on an engine that ceased to be used in any production vehicle after '94 :confused:

GD

I had a 93 or 94 (don't remember which at the time) ej22t had a plastic one as well.....

I also had records from my 94 TW that it had a good size oil leak at 3,000 miles from when new........ and they replaced intake gaskets at 6,500 under warranty as well on it.....

So even when new, they were not sealed real well.