Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Purge solenoid location?

Code 35 is exactly for the solenoid, most likely it does not work anymore. You can on the other hand get a new one from Carquest like I did, its about $50. Or you can just leave it and drive as is, it doesn't affect the running of the engine.

You could test the Resistance and see what it shows, I'm not sure how much resistance it should have, anyone else know?

Also, like Cookie1 said, there are two of them. One is for the EGR, and the other is for the 4WD, you will notice the vac line on the other runs down to the trans mission (At least on the 3AT)

Cheers.

Hey thanks. took it out, tested it and it is fine, read 38 on a ohms meter. i checked the engine codes again and now it reads 32 and 33... (when i was taking off the solenoid i noticed that the hose wasn't all the way on so that is probably why that code came up...) now on to the next one...my car runs fine until i start to go up a very long hill then the check engine light comes on and it is like the engine is choked and it looses a lot of power and bucks a little bit. so that is why i am chasing codes

Hey thanks. took it out, tested it and it is fine, read 38 on a ohms meter. i checked the engine codes again and now it reads 32 and 33... (when i was taking off the solenoid i noticed that the hose wasn't all the way on so that is probably why that code came up...) now on to the next one...my car runs fine until i start to go up a very long hill then the check engine light comes on and it is like the engine is choked and it looses a lot of power and bucks a little bit. so that is why i am chasing codes

32 is "O2 Sensor"

33 is "Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) "

Complete list of every code a SPFI EA82 can thow:

11 Crank angle sensor or circuit

12 Starter switch or circuit

13 Crank angle sensor or circuit

14 Fuel Injector - Abnormal output

21 Coolant Temp Sensor or circuit

23 Air flow meter or circuit

24 Air control valve or circuit

31 Throttle Position sensor

32 Oxygen Sensor

33 Vehicle speed sensor

34 EGR Solenoid or circuit

35 EGR Purge control solenoid

42 Idle switch

45 Kick-down control relay (Automatic)

51 Neutral switch continuously in the on position

55 EGR Temp sensor

61 Parking switch

thanks for the list. I recently replaced the o2 sensor so i am pretty sure that is not it. Would a bad VSS possibly cause the symptoms i described earlier?

Possibly.

Just remember, sometimes another sensor can fail and make other codes trigger without even being the issue. Like with my Legacy, I had codes for Knock, Cam and Crank sensors. I replaced the Cam and Crank sensors and the Knock sensor went away.

If you want, try cleaning your Mass Airflow Sensor on the airbox. Use some electrical spray cleaner and mist down the little tong inside. Might take away your lack of power.

-Tom

Clear all codes and drive it some and see if you get a cel. Even if you dont get a cel check the codes in memory.

Ive cleared codes and had no cel come on but then checked the memory codes and had some.

Kinda weird but it happened.

EGR Purge solenoid? Follow the vac line from the EGR and it will lead you to its solenoid as its right under the intake on your left. Has a big white two pin connector.

Looks like this:

41IRZWr1flL_SS400_.jpg

Hope this helps.

hi , this looks like the purge solinoid for sure but it is for purge of the fuel vapor system and has Nothing to do with the egr valve. the other one is the egr solinoid and has Nothing to do with the auto trans, 4wd or purge.. it does not purge the egr it causes it to operate, the purge sol is not the same thing. the egr sol will have 2 hoses going to it and 2 hose nipples on it.

i think you might have some vac lines confused if one of these is tied to your trans vac line.

Edited by ruparts

Code 35 is exactly for the solenoid, most likely it does not work anymore. You can on the other hand get a new one from Carquest like I did, its about $50. Or you can just leave it and drive as is, it doesn't affect the running of the engine.

You could test the Resistance and see what it shows, I'm not sure how much resistance it should have, anyone else know?

Also, like Cookie1 said, there are two of them. One is for the EGR, and the other is for the 4WD, you will notice the vac line on the other runs down to the trans mission (At least on the 3AT)

Cheers.

hi , i think the 2 solinoids , one is for activation of the egr valve , the other is for purge of the fuel vapor systen , i don't think either has anything to do with 4wd or the transmission.

Edited by ruparts