Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions please!!! on Suby Legacy 05'

I'm looking at a Subaru Legacy 2005 non turbo. It has 50,000 miles and it looks like it's in very good conditions. I wanted to know if anyone knows about common issues with this car or mayor problems, stock defects, etc. I'm a college student looking for a liable car that is not going to break down on me too much and won't have mayor problems for a while. I had a 90' legacy wagon before and I know Subarus are good cars but i read about 05 legacy having major issues with the engine. If anyone has personal experience or works at a shop and would be kind to let me know about their experience.

Thanks Guys

2005 era EJ25's can have headgasket issues. it's not "common", but it does happen and mileage is meaningless for that issue. it's always an external leak so check the head to engine mating surface before buying, it is immediately visible without any work.

it's a benign headgasket leak when it starts, no drivability issues, no damage to engine, and it won't leave you stranded. - they seap very slowly externally and you can literally drive them for many years and miles that way, it doesn't strand you or cause engine issues. guy i know has been driving his for years that way and it now sits in my parking lot with 300,000 miles with some very heavy leaks.

you just have to make sure the coolant is getting topped off so it doesn't overheat and engine oil doesn't low (the can leak coolant and/or oil, both externally).

We had a 2005 Legacy Outback 2.5 automatic converted to LPG (direct injection). With the build in navigation system and sun/moonroof.

If you are taller then 1m90cm then look for one without the sunroof. I (1.92) always had the idea that my head was very close to the roof lining. A problem with the series (recall) was the rear-door locking mechanism but that is checked with most of them.

It was one of the few cars we bought new and drove 170k KM with without any weird malfunctions or breakdowns/problems except one wheel bearing started making noise and 2 LPG injectors were shot. A good car :grin:

(we did it away since it was a company car and we sold the company)