Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am looking to pick up a 4WD wagon to have around for winter driving. Both my in-laws and my mother (almost 90) live in areas that get a bit more snow than me so I need to get out to them from time to time to bring food, medicine and take them out. My little Honda Fit (as fun as it is) always got left home and I took my aging Subie GL. Unfortunately my wagon went down and at the time I couldn't afford to fix it so I sold it. Fast forward to today and I am looking to get another Subie and I am more interested in something like a Legacy (newer, safer, faster etc.). I also think it would be a nifty road trip car. I know AWD isn't as robust as 4WD on the old GL but to be honest AWD is probably more than I'll ever need.

I have always been a manual trasmission sort of fellow but I found a 93 Legacy with around 150K with a new transmission and in very nice condition for a good price but it's an automatic. It seems that Legacy's are more common with auto than not and the ones I've found with 5 speed by and large have been trashed. I will say that recently I did drive a friends mid 90's Legacy with AWD and I was surprised at how nice it was. I hate to admit it but I found myself kinda liking the auto. It was super nice in Seattle grid lock. Anyone have any opinions about an auto (as in is it a problem or have reliability issues...or just plain suck)? I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Subarus have very reliable automatic transmissions. They are built tough, and last a long time. Subaru is even thoughtful enough to have build their auto trannies with an ATF drain plug to make changing fluid really easy. Fluid change is seldom done, but it is nice to know that it is an easy job.

With decent tires the AWD is great in snow. If you anticipate heavier snow, then think about an Outback model; they are a little taller off the ground, so can handle heavier snow better without bottoming out in the deep stuff.