Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinion on H vs T Tires on Forester

I am tire shopping and was completely sold on the Hankook Optimo H727 tires based on all kinds of reviews. However I found out they are rated T and the 2003 Forester is supposed to have an H rated tire. Lots of Subaru owners have been using these tires according to the reviews. But I can't even buy them online from certain dealers because of the difference. Some installers won't install them. Why do some websites like Tire Rack say they are OK while others, like Discount say no? What is your experience and what tires would you recommend for midwest driving, average, 10K a year, all season? Thanks!

On my VW they are very hesitant (or won't) mount up anything under a H rated since they are what came one the car.

I will say that if you put a T on my VW and do travel at high speeds you will notice a difference in handling and squeeling around serious bends as low as 70 mph or so.

And snow tires are usually a real problem because there are no H's affordable usually.

But for a typical Subaru driver I would think T's would be fine.

On my VW they are very hesitant (or won't) mount up anything under a H rated since they are what came one the car.

Another angle............I think being hesitant to mount up anything under an H rating is prolly more of an economic/profit issue. H rated tires cost more then T rated tires, and the seller know that. So, the sales people pressure the customer into buying more expensive tires, resulting in a higher profit for the store.

I was looking at the forum on Consumer Reports and the tire guy there said he would never recommend "downgrading" the tires. Hence my concern. No, I don't drive fast, even when the limit is 75 I usually go 70. Like to save on gas. I live in northern IL so snow is an issue, last winter was a bear. My installer here (small town) has no problem with mounting a T tire but I just wanted some reassurance that I'm not messing up my car or putting myself in danger. The CR guy talked about stopping and avoidance issues with a lower rated tire at any speed.

2003 Forester 2.5X

I was looking at the forum on Consumer Reports and the tire guy there said he would never recommend "downgrading" the tires. Hence my concern.

I'll sum it up with one word: liability.

If a shop puts a T tire on a car that came OEM equpped with H tires, and the customer drives 130mph until the tires blow, then the customer would sue the shop and probably win.

That's why you will never hear a professional recommend a downgrade or be enthusiastic about mounting downgraded tires.

I'll sum it up with one word: liability.

If a shop puts a T tire on a car that came OEM equpped with H tires, and the customer drives 130mph until the tires blow, then the customer would sue the shop and probably win.

That's why you will never hear a professional recommend a downgrade or be enthusiastic about mounting downgraded tires.

Imho, in a situation of driving nearly double the legal speed limit for a sustained period of time, and having the tire blow out, then having the balls to sue the shop would be viewed as a frivolous law suit, and thrown out of court. What ever happened to being responsible for your own actions and misfortunes?

I think the alphabet rating system on tires misleads people. It is just not important. I never consider the alphabet ratings, when buying new tires, or have ever had a tire sales person bring up the subject in advising what tire to buy. Realistically, I think any tire will work well on any car that is driven within posted speed limits.

A Forester is not intended to be driven as a sports car, and drivers know that, and I bet you know that. The T rated tires will work just fine on your car. Trust my advise.

It is a liability issue, however having a tire blow-out at >110 mph, you will be lucky to survive it.

I am not sure if the rubber compound is different between H and T but for sure the strength of the canvas carcass is. Additionally a higher speed rated tire most likely also has a higher load index (side wall strength).

If you are not a fast driver then get the slower rated tires. But you will have to state it when you sell the car on that it has under qualified tires. Here in Holland it is out of the question, a shop will never ever fit under rated tires. In Germany you can not even get other sizes than stated in the car document.

Well, because of that issue I stopped looking at the Hankkok Optimo 727 and got sold on the Toyo Open Country--- only to find out they no longer stock them in 215 60 16. Now I have to start a search for the 3rd time with all the hours of research UNLESS I decide to go back to my original choice of the Hankooks. Tire buying is a real pain!

It is annoying indeed. I was looking for new tires but decided to postpone it an other year by putting my winter tires on there for MOT check and then back to summer tires for 1 more month and then back to winter tires till the end of next summer. Then the winter tires will be shot as well.

It is kind of evading spending money :grin:

Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, Yokohama AVID TRZ, and BFG Advantage TA all appear to be reasonable H or higher speed rated, all season, not stupid expensive, reasonable tread life, in stock, name brand, favorably-reviewed tires.

With that said, I'd go with your original choice and not bat an eye.

With THAT said, doesn't Illinois get a lot of snow? I'd get a set of snow tires on steelies, and a set of reasonably priced, rock-hard, 70k mile, crappy-in-bad-weather grand touring tires on the original wheels, and leave the snows on from November to March. Then neither set gets used the whole time, and you have optimum grip year round (let's face it, all seasons suck in the snow. I live in VA, and have a set of snows for my DD. Overkill? Maybe, maybe not).

Something to ponder.

Yes, we got a lot of snow last year-- about 3 times a week all winter long! Other years not as much. But the issue, besides having to buy 2 sets of tires and wheels, is that I have no good place to store them. I had thought about it but seems as tho no one around here does that. Really surprised me cause in CO lots of folks had dedicated snow tires and the tire shops would store them for free. Maybe I will just get some good all season tires and not drive much in the snow like I did last winter. Kind of restrictive tho. Especially since most of the shopping is 25 miles away.

If you get some tires, and it turns out that they are totally useless in the snow, you could get them siped (or by a tool on eBay specifically for siping and do it yourself).

There are cons, mainly the possibility of decreasing the tire's lifespan (If you really cut them deep, primarily, I think) and possibly adding some squirminess to the ride in good weather. Some people see no downside, some see it as destroying the tires ride quality and lifespan. It has a lot to do with the tread design and tread compounds, too.

The pros, however, are like adding a million little teeth to the tires, greatly improving acceleration, but more importantly, braking performance.

I'd rather screw up a set of decent tires than get in a wreck. But then again, I'm not a speed demon, and probably wouldn't tear them up either way.

I'm sure there are many people on here that have experimented with this. Anyone?