Ultimate Subaru Message Board

that's probably about right.

in general - i'd say that's a great price if the person has done countless timing belt jobs, knows a wide range of Subaru engines very well, but it's a little high otherwise for just a belt, pump, and pulleys. i just did a DOHC belt a couple weeks ago - i was done in under an hour. 2 hours should be plenty of time for belt and pump. that's $125 an hour with zero overhead.

prices are higher in expensive markets like NYC, DC, LA.

dealer prices i've seen are $350 - $699 for belt only. so you're still under even the lowest dealer price.

if you're in the rust belt you want a little cushion for rust related debacles and parts! :lol::lol:

one thing i just thought of. alot of building contractor just take the lumber prices and double it . and keep the rest for labor. maybe i should do that. i saw a timing belt kit minus the water pump for 169.00 on ebay free ship. it doesnt take very long to do the pump and all of that to my 2.2 so a 2.5 couldnt take very much longer. and i pulled the radiator the first time. all the other times i had the fan out of the way instead. but the radiator being out would be easier to drain the coolant. for the pump.

I'd say 200 is fair and what I can get them done for locally if I'm too busy on SOHC's.

However I'm usually dealing with DOHC's and thus also recommend new seals and checking oil pump screws then it's 250.

I always do fresh coolant too - it's the most neglected thing in a car. You've got it drained anyways - why not just replace it?