Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mpg

I just bought a 87 GL 10 turbo 4x4 wagon with 58000 miles on it and wondering what kind of miles per gal. to expect???? I am not new to subaru. The wife counted up that we had a total of 7. The subie wagon makes # 8. Any idea of life expectency. I have added 4 new tires and new front axles. New plug wires and rotor cap and dist. cap are next. The subie has air adjustable suspenion, and everything works but the a/c. :banana:

My 1990 turbo auto car got 24-26 TOPS on the highway, and about 20-22 around town. Plugs and wires help. But your 22 sounds about like what you should get with that turbo around town. Oh, and this was with 92 octane gas as well. If you are not running premium, start running it, the engine runs better with premium.

I just took my 87 gl 5spd 4wd on a 7,000 mile round trip to nevada and back.

Background on this car, I bought it in April, it had 42,000 miles on it. I put spark plugs in it. I replaced the front wheel bearings. I drove.

Averaged about 25 mpg most of the time. This was with about 1,000 lbs of people and luggage and bikes. The lowest I hit was 15 mpg going over the mountains in Wyoming. In 3rd gear. Barely keeping pace at 40 mph. hahaha good times. That was all premium gas too.

The gf's 93 Loyale has 70,000 miles on it only gets premium gas, auto trans and usually averages about 22-25 mpg. the 3 speed really kills it on the highway though as 65 mph sees the engine at about 4,000 rpms.