Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Correct pressure control solenoid valve operation?

How does this solenoid work and what is it's purpose? Is it a typical open/closed solenoid? Is it supposed to be closed when not energized? Does it allow atmosphere air in?

I'm currently tracking down a P0440 EVAP code, and my pressure control solenoid has a very faint click, but remains open (ie, I can blow through it), whether or not 12V is applied.

I've also tried plugging one port with my finger and applying a vacuum to the other port and then applying 12V - vacuum holds.

The solenoid connects the charcoal canister to top of the fuel tank.

Here's a picture of the valve:

pressurecontrolvalve.jpg

Thanks, any help much appreciated!

Well I took another look at it today. It appears I must have been doing something wrong first time around. I blew it softly, it was closed, but when I blew harder, it let air through. When I applied 12V, it let a lot of air through, so I think it's supposed to be closed by default, then lets air in when 12V is applied.

Can anyone confirm this? :)

Also, it's a 97 Legacy L AWD, 2.2L. Thanks!

It may not be closed by default as it can be a check valve or reducer valve of some kind. From where on the car was it located.

Could you elaborate a little bit more? I just got one from a parts car and it seems to behave the same way as the original.

EDIT: This article says it's a two-way check valve to regulate pressure - could that be the case with our pressure control solenoid valves?

Thanks

Edited by jamesm113