Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 subie broken timing belt

If your valves have been bent, they probably haven't been fixed. Because replacing the valves on a Subaru engine that has lost time is usually around $3,500 not $1,000. I recently replaced the timing belt on my 2.5L SOHC myself, alone and for the first time, and there were plenty of "pucker" moments involved. I think that I would want an experienced person next to me the first time I replaced the belt on a DOHC. Replacing the timing belt on the SOHC unassisted was plenty for a first timer. Replacing the timing belt on DOHC unassisited would be considerably out of my comfort range.

Why so many 2.5 motors get replaced with a 2.2 motor is because of replacement cost, and gained reliability. In my case, I spent $400 for a motor from a respected wrecking yard. I took it to my mechanic's shop, where he replace the water pump, timing belt, idlers, and seals, and installed it for $1600. The 2.2 from a 95 car is plug and play with existing ecu, wiring, and exhaust down pipe. With a 2.2 motor, it is a non interference motor, so should the timing belt ever break, it won't take out the valves. Also, the 2.2 does not suffer from weak head gaskets, so there is gained reliability. I am happy with the result.

Replacing the timing belt on the SOHC unassisted was plenty for a first timer. Replacing the timing belt on DOHC unassisited would be considerably out of my comfort range.
you're golden - you can do them both if you can do one. the difference is a matter of seconds between the two in time and zero in complexity. maybe a bit more overwhelming for a first timer mentally but technically speaking it's the same job. if you've done a SOHC, nothing is stopping you from doing a DOHC timing belt.

I'm not giving up on my '98OBW but I need some help determining engine compatibility. My engine type is EJ25DAXDYL (DOHC). Do I need the exact same engine type as a replacement? I have a lead on an engine from a '99 Impreza Legacy Forester Outback engine type EJ253AW1VB (SOHC). Is it compatible? I searched on-line for engine type decoder but had no luck.... As usual, thanks in advance for any help!

no it is not compatible.

you need a DOHC ej25, 96 - 99. (not all 99 ej25 were DOHC, the forester wasn't, the GTs and the outbacks were.)

or a ej22 from 95 - 98 out of an auto trans car. some are easier than others so look around. i just posted this up some where this week. maybe a different forum.do a search.

more info on the ej22 if interested.

ok, the 95 ej22 FROM AN AUTO TRANS CAR is the preferred donor engine for a ej22 swap into an ej25 car. the exhaust ports match your y-pipe (97 - 98 do not), thet have the needed EGR (ej22 from manual trans cars no not), and they are non-interference. smile.gif

second best donor engine, 96 ej22 from AUTO trans car, you will need the y-pipe. this is non-interference as well.

third best donor engine, 97 - 98 ej22 from AUTO trans car, you will need the y-pipe. these are interference engines.

another choice, is to locate a 00 - 04 SOHC ej25 that has a busted timing belt. this means bent valves. prices will vary but if you get one for $500 you can swap on your heads and reinstall for about $400 - $500 more in parts. (this may be expensive if you are paying for labor.) in this case you will definitely want to do everything before you put it on the road. you can not take a chance on unknown timing parts. you could be right back here with bent valves in 2 months.

for parts, look here: www.car-part.com