Ultimate Subaru Message Board

love at first scoob

well i bought my first soob a couple months ago and i love this rusty little car (83 gl wagon, ea81 4sp DR), to the point i sold my 2000 lincoln ls cause all it does is sit. picked it up for 250 bucks. needs some work but whatever, the work is most of the fun ya? i have plenty of ideas on what to do with it and now that i dont have the silly car payment (the lincoln) let the fun begin. i gotta figure out how to post pics and ill keep u updated.

spare parts he says lol. ya i can think of a few. both front axles ( or the stuff to rebuild mine), any and all body panels, clutch cable. the more i look at the car the more i find rotted but it seems that all the rot in on the body and nothing mechanical. i had the plastic off of the door sills and i see daylight all the way back. but thats what im into so i cant complain. really wish i could find a cheap doner car with a good body and no drive train. hard to find stuff in iowa huh? this site and you guys on it r very good at what u do and im glad to have found it. im a subaru lover for sure now lol so i thank u for not getting the car or id still be in my lincoln and rotted out isuzu pickup.

sweet, thanks alot. when i got the car home i couldnt even get into it cause of all the ants, i took me weeks and lots of bait traps to clear them out. anyone know why all the plastic inside is so rubbery and brittle? so far ive redone the radio bezel again with some fiberglass and some plastic welding, raised the front with strut toppers and turned the tortion bar up....or down..........i raised it lol. ill put up the newer pics later under the correct thread. im going this weekend to lower the subframe a little to straighten out the cv joints a little and hopefully correct my camber. this girl i know wrote on the back window "when i grow up i wanna be a ford" lol silly girl, she calls it the naner car for obvious reasons. since owning it ive had 3 different offers on it but i just cant see myself parting with it. thanks for your help guys (or girls)...

i wanna lift it some more but not real sure how to go about it... i dont wanna buy a lift kit cause well lets face it money is hard to come by, so im just experimenting till something works. im probably not gonna do a engine swap cause i hear the 81 is a good enough engine, i will probably just try to find a rebuild kit and try my hand and small motor stuff. really i just want a dd/weekend toy. ive got this vision in mind of it looking similar to a sidekick or tracker as far as clearance and tires go. and i do want to fix most of the rust, and i already have my paint figured out when its ready

it does start ok most of the time, but sometimes it seems to wanna start rich. when messing with the choke cable i noticed that its not opening the choke all the way and its not the cable its on the carb on the lean rich control. i noticed the screws on the control were loose to i tightned them, then the throttle would stick open so i had to loosen them again and the choke just wont work right

Welcome aboard!

Mine was about that rusty when I started with it (it's coming back through again now after about 5 years) I cut out all the rust and welded in new panels I got from http://www.rustrepair.com/index-mf.html I used the rocker panels from a loyal they offer (they are a bit short, but with some trimming you can make them fit, and I got rear arches from them as well, but I can't seem to find the listing for it. I'm putting on another set on my other wagon now, but that has good rear quarters. I would check out the seat mounts closest to the b-piller and repair those if needed, all of mine have been trying to fall through the floor :grin:

Here's mine after all the work, mine had now front door bottoms, rocker panels, or rear quarters. (I didn't take any before pics, I have no idea why...) And I have build thread in the 80's section where I'm fixing a bunch of rust if you need any pointers let me know, I've fixed a lot of rust on these old things at this point :rolleyes:

3-21.jpg