Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gasket and convert to 2.0l JDM

In attempting to correct a stripped thread on 2.5l 2002 Outback Limited with HG problem, dealer oversized block head bolt hole to 12mm, dont think we can correct to bring back to accept 11mm head bolt with helicoil, please advise if incorrect, but now we are looking at swapping with low mileage 2.0l JDM replacement, supposedly a swap by using 2.5 externals, any advice appreciated

In attempting to correct a stripped thread on 2.5l 2002 Outback Limited with HG problem, dealer oversized block head bolt hole to 12mm, dont think we can correct to bring back to accept 11mm head bolt with helicoil, please advise if incorrect, but now we are looking at swapping with low mileage 2.0l JDM replacement, supposedly a swap by using 2.5 externals, any advice appreciated

Since the block head bolt hole has been over sized, I don't see how swapping 2.5 externals will correct anything. Is dealer wanting to replace the block by going to a JDM engine?

FYI, car was towed to mechanic we trust, JDM came up as an alternative and I think it our best bet, looks like the $1950 cost of HG fix will be about the same as removal of 2.5, purchase of 2.0 JDM and install!

I am in the process of having my 2.5 replaced with a 2.2 from a '95. I checked several JDM sources, but found the motors rather expensive. I bought the 2.2 with 143K miles on the odo, and a 6 months guarantee for $375. I don't want to come across as bragging, but just want to show you what cost can be from non JDM sources. Other 2.2 pricing I got from other yards had 2.2 motors from about $700 to $875.

I was also reluctant to buy a JDM motor because there might be issues of comparability to the US market. If your current motor has EGR, you will need to replace with a motor that has EGR, or your check engine light will always be on. Do you know if the 2.0 motor has EGR? Do you know if it will be OBD 2 compatible? I would hate to see you buy into a can of worms of problems.

who did you use?

I did a google search for "used Subaru motors." That search produced quite a few sites for motors for sale. I tried in vain, but could not find the site that I requested a motor for 1995 Subaru Impreza 2.2 motor. The 2.2 motor from 1995 is the best match to replace a 2.5 in a 1998 Legacy. I read that asking for an Impreza motor would cost less then one from a Legacy. They are the same, but Impreza maybe costs less.

It was a matter of filling out a form on line of the motor I wanted. Once submitted, I received about 10 emails from wrecking yards from Chicago to New York state. There were also several telephone calls too. However, for the life of me, I can't find that web site.

However, I found my motor locally from a wrecking yard. So, it is worth making some calls to your local wrecking yards to see what they have. Good Luck!!

^ are you thinking of car-part.com ?

He can't just get the engine from a 95 legacy and swap it in. He has a 2002 which means he needs a phase2 engine. Probably easiest to just find another 2.5 short block and swap your heads on.

And FYI, 95 was still OBD1 for the impreza, so you don't want a 95imp engine if you're doing 2.2 swaps on DOHC cars.

I don't understand why they can't put a few helicoil thread inserts in the block and put it back together. People do it all the time. You have to drill out the threads in the lock to install a helicoil anyway.

Did they put the wrong size insert in the block? If that's the case the dealer should be paying for whatever it takes, fix or replace the block. Don't let them walk on you because they Effd up. Stripped head bolt threads are common on aluminum blocks, It shouldn't be a problem for them to fix. If it is, you get SOA involved and let the dealer know you aren't letting them slide this one of their back.

The problem is the Subaru dealer tech retapped the 11mm head bolt hole to 12mm which is too big diameter for the helicoil to correct an 11mm fit, block is ruined and I kept all emails and pix and will ask for my $500 back.