Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 + GL-10 didgidash.....tach?

Numbchux

Friend of mine is finishing up his swap. it's an '87 GL-10, '92 EJ22 with '97 ECU/wiring/intake manifold. Got it all hooked up, and everything works as it should.....EXCEPT the tach. It worked fine with the EA82t.

I double checked the signal wire, it is connected to the correct pin at the cluster and the ECU. Now, the signal for the EA82s come straight from the coil, regardless of whether it's a digital or analog cluster, so it seems to me that they should both work with the EJ signal....but I could be wrong.

thoughts?

You need to use the signals from the ignitor. Get two 1N4004 diodes from Radio Shack. Connect the anode of one to the blue wire. Connect the anode of the other diode to the red/green wire. Connect the cathodes together and drive the tach with that.

That should work. It works for us Vanagon guys.

I did that (Hobart Kennedy's diode trick)on mine (88 GL10 with a 91 EJ22) and still no operational tach. My cruise control started working though. I'm going to attempt to get what the signal is from the EJ and convert it to play nice with the EA digital tach. I picked up an oscilloscope for that purpose and a fellow board member with a better grip on electronics than I have and I are on a mission to get this sorted out. We will update when we find something.

Here's a circuit I came up with a while ago. I think this is what's in my van right now but it's been so long I don't remember if I needed to fiddle with it. :drunk:

IGN+       ___       ___                              OUT    o------|___|------UUU-----------+-------------+-----o                                    |             |         180 OHM     22 mH          ^             |         1 WATT                     ~ RXE025      |                                    v             |          1 k OHM                   |             |            ___        1N4001   B |/  C           |    o------|___|----+--------+----|               - TACH IN            |        |    |>  E           ^  1N5956B                   .-.       |      |             |                   | |       -      |             |                   | |       ^      |  2N6517     |           180 OHM '-'       |      |             |                    |        |      |             |                    |        |      |             |                    |        |      |             |                   ===      ===    ===           ===                   GND      GND    GND           GND    QTY:  PART:            DESCRIPTION:          DIGI-KEY PN:    (1)   1N4001           DIODE                 1N4001DICT-ND   (1)   1N5956B          200 V ZENER DIODE     1N5956BRLOSCT-ND   (1)   2N6517           NPN TRANSISTOR        2N6517OS-ND   (1)   22 mH            INDUCTOR              DN7763-ND   (2)   180 OHM          1 WATT RESISTOR       BC180W-1CT-ND   (1)   1 k OHM          1/4 WATT RESISTOR     1.0KQBK-ND   (1)   RXE025           0.25A POLYFUSE        RXE025-ND  

Edited by presslab

Here's a circuit I came up with a while ago. I think this is what's in my van right now but it's been so long I don't remember if I needed to fiddle with it. :drunk:

IGN+       ___       ___                              OUT    o------|___|------UUU-----------+-------------+-----o                                    |             |         180 OHM     22 mH          ^             |         1 WATT                     ~ RXE025      |                                    v             |          1 k OHM                   |             |            ___        1N4001   B |/  C           |    o------|___|----+--------+----|               - TACH IN            |        |    |>  E           ^  1N5956B                   .-.       |      |             |                   | |       -      |             |                   | |       ^      |  2N6517     |           180 OHM '-'       |      |             |                    |        |      |             |                    |        |      |             |                    |        |      |             |                   ===      ===    ===           ===                   GND      GND    GND           GND    QTY:  PART:            DESCRIPTION:          DIGI-KEY PN:    (1)   1N4001           DIODE                 1N4001DICT-ND   (1)   1N5956B          200 V ZENER DIODE     1N5956BRLOSCT-ND   (1)   2N6517           NPN TRANSISTOR        2N6517OS-ND   (1)   22 mH            INDUCTOR              DN7763-ND   (2)   180 OHM          1 WATT RESISTOR       BC180W-1CT-ND   (1)   1 k OHM          1/4 WATT RESISTOR     1.0KQBK-ND   (1)   RXE025           0.25A POLYFUSE        RXE025-ND  

Now this is what I am talking about! I will have to examine this some more, and I will probably have some more questions about this. Expect a PM from me about this :) But this looks like it could work. Nice work presslab, yet again!

I really need to play with that O'scope some more don't I capn_r? :) Once I get back from Canada we should really get on this...