Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 97 legacy outback wagon that has developed a loose,noisy steering rack. it isn't the inner or outer tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings or cv axles. all of that has been checked and replaced if necessary. the steering rack makes a bumping sound when driving and when i laid under it and somebody moved the steering wheel back and forth i pin pointed the exact location. i removed the tie rod boot and could clearly see that in fact the rack has noticeable sloppiness and makes a clunk sound. i have heard that there is an adjustment screw for this , but i can not locate it. i want to try to fix it before i run out and spend $200-$300 for a new assembly that i really can't afford. does anyone have a diagram or picture showing the location of this screw? thank you in advance for your replies. curtis

I believe there is a clearance adjustment screw in there, but it appears to require a special tool to adjust it, and possible removal of the rack to get at it. I had a thread about it for a 2000 Outback some time back because I have this looseness on the left side too. The factory service manual lists this adjustment as one of the possible causes.

I believe there is a clearance adjustment screw in there, but it appears to require a special tool to adjust it, and possible removal of the rack to get at it. I had a thread about it for a 2000 Outback some time back because I have this looseness on the left side too. The factory service manual lists this adjustment as one of the possible causes.

if i have to pull the rack out to do it , so be it. i don't mind having to do that. i'd also get the special tool if need be. what other possibilities does the service manual list?

fairtax4me , i've been considering the junk yard. i've also read that they don't go out very often.....of course, i have the one rarity that does.

i've had a run of other suspension components going bad lately also. i just recently had to replace my left side tie rod end, inner and outer. it keeps get twisted , i think it has something to do with the wobble in the steering rack. just today i replaced my right side cv axle, it was shot at the dual offset joint. the boot wasn't ripped , but the axle was trashed, i don't know if that's connected to the steering rack problem or not. i don't see how it could be but it seems odd that everything is messing up all at the same time. my legacy is lifted and i do take it offroading occasionally,nothing too serious, but it's been a good while since it's seen any offroad action. it's a 4 inch lift, struts and body, so everything was moved at the same time...4 at the struts, 4 at the body......took out the factory 1" blocks. i'm perplexed at what is going on. curtis

Let me take a look again today at my 2000 Outback service manual to see what it said about the adjustment. Of course it might be bit different than a '96 because of the generation. I looked in my '94 Legacy factory manual, and the adjustment it showed did appear to be for the pinion to rack like fairtax said.

I know on my 2000 Outback, if I shake up and down on the inner tie rod near the rack, I can feel a slight clunking. I replaced the inner tie rod with genuine already.

yeah, as i said it's definately the steering rack. i can see noticeable play in it when i had one of my sons turn the steering wheel. i had the boot pulled back and could clearly see the rack moving up and down. it makes all kinds of racket going down the road, particularly at low speeds. i've looked and felt all over it and couldn't find any sort of adjustment screw. i'd greatly appreciate if you'd take a look at your manual for me. i'm sure there are many differences between your 2000 and my 97, but maybe it'd give me a clue. thanks. curtis

I have a good low mileage rack from a 95 Legacy with 95K on it. I just used the inner tie rods, but the rest of the rack is there. If you have good tie rods and boots you'd be set.

$20 + Shipping from CO 80916

Larry

i have brand new tie rods , inner and outer. let me look in to the price of shipping. i'll pm you soon. thanks! curtis