Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I recently bought a 1996 Subaru Impreza 2dr Coupe with a manual 1.8L.

It has HORRIBLE smoking problems after the engine gets hot. It's fine driving on level ground, then after powering up a hill, I stop and smoke billows out from the engine compartment.

The previous owner said it's the "Rear Main Seal" leaking on to the exhaust. My uncle says it can be the valve cover gaskets as well. Smoke does come out from under them.

First of all, could some one tell me where to start? :D

Since it's the exhaust burning the oil, I'm tempted to just drop the exhaust and let the headers just be super loud. I live in a hic town where that is common.

Thanks in advance for advice,

Kyle

Totally up to you.

Most here upgrade to metal plate and NEW screws are required.

Often on high mileage cars shortly after I swap engines, do HG's whatever the clutch slave seems to fail.

Inspect clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing and clips for sure.

Even simple stuff like VC gaskets are easier and timing belt replacement.

for less than $200 in parts, you can replace all the front seals, the oil sep plate, the valve cover gaskets and the timing belt with all the idlers and the water pump.

do that and the car will be good for at least 60k miles, maybe 100k.

of course since the engine is non-interference, you wouldn't have to do the timing belt components now, you could only do the seals and fix the leaks. but you will have to do them eventually. i guess you have to weigh the cost of parts against the inconvenience of a failed timing belt.

As John says.

When I pull an engine I do it all. Reseal it all, new spark plugs, new clutch kit, TO bearing clips, TB components, etc.

Never gonna be easier if you're gonna keep the car any length of time.

It makes the most sense to me to do it all and be done with it.

Some folks here like to save a few bucks and do partial. But that makes no sense to me personally. Labor/time and the convenience of knowing when it will be done and planning for it versus waiting for something to break makes it a no brainer for me.

Get Ebay kit from theimportexperts for TB stuff. They also have VC sets and stuff. Others here have tried other Ebay kits with mixed results.

As John says.

When I pull an engine I do it all. Reseal it all, new spark plugs, new clutch kit, TO bearing clips, TB components, etc.

Never gonna be easier if you're gonna keep the car any length of time.

It makes the most sense to me to do it all and be done with it.

Some folks here like to save a few bucks and do partial. But that makes no sense to me personally. Labor/time and the convenience of knowing when it will be done and planning for it versus waiting for something to break makes it a no brainer for me.

Get Ebay kit from theimportexperts for TB stuff. They also have VC sets and stuff. Others here have tried other Ebay kits with mixed results.

I agree, but it all depends on the overall condition of the car and your ongoing finances. Replacing clutch means refacing flywheel, new throwout bearing, pressureplate, clutch plate... adds up. If you have freedom to fix it again in a year, it's a toss up. The timing belt stuff can be done with engine in car easily enough. Done that several times. I've never pulled subaru heads, luckily, but I think I'd try to do that in the car if it came to that.

I once pulled my auto tranny from beneath, in my driveway and stored everything underneath the car and replaced the seal plate, in the snow.

In general I try to do smaller jobs and finish them quickly and get it back on the road. Too much time seems to result in forgotten bits or worrisome indecision.