Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prolonging my Clutch for two more weeks (or so)

Have a 1993 Loyale @ 154,000 miles.

I've always kept the workings of a clutch at arms length...it's slipping, mostly in 3rd gear, and I need to prolong it's life for a couple more weeks...any adjustment I can make or "once it starts slipping that's it"...anything???

ok will start serching old threads now but while I do, thought I'd throw this out there...happy saturday and thanks...

Check your clutch cable and see if its too tight. Assuming you have a hillholder system...pull the upper cable off the shift fork at the transmission. then wiggle the shift fork. Is there any play at all? There should be just a bit of play so that when you reconnect the hillholder cable it pulls the throwout bearing away from the clutch fingers so that its not constantly riding on them. Im not talking a TON of play but just a tiny bit. Other than that there really isnt any other adjustments that can help the clutch last longer. If its starting to slip its either way too tight...which i doubt or its on its way out. With 146k i wouldnt be surprised if it was the original clutch.

The most important thing is to not let it slip. When starting in 1st gear slip it as little as possible, get off the pedal as fast as you can. When you're shifting rev match so the clutch isn't doing the work of bringing the engine RPMs up and down, especially when downshifting. If you do a good job, the only time you'll slip the clutch is getting moving, if you're very careful it'll make it a week or two... And then be careful on hills and accelerating.

I had a pretty badly slipping clutch in my legacy for a few weeks till I had a time to fix it, and being really careful, it made it.

• 2 weeks later...

still chugging and slipping along..

QUESTION:

the ebay clutch kit prices are all over the place...from $45.00 to a couple hundred $ for a 93 4WD Loyale

ANYTHING I SHOULD AVOID??

thanks for any info

So, driving it as is, feathering the gas pedal to keep rpms compatible with forward movement...is... a bad thing?

btw, this ^^ is a joke... at myself, for the ridiculousness of the situation... I can be incomprehensible at times

it's slipping, mostly in 3rd gear, and I need to prolong it's life for a couple more weeks...any adjustment I can make or "once it starts slipping that's it"...anything???

On my last Legacy, the clutch started doing the same thing. I had just moved to a new town, and tried to limp it for another week while I could do some research to figure out where to take it.

In the end, the car made the decision for me. We took it to the closest shop in town because it was all downhill to get there. :D

If your car has given you an advance warning, I would suggest fixing it ASAP to save the costs of a tow truck! ;)

On my last Legacy, the clutch started doing the same thing. I had just moved to a new town, and tried to limp it for another week while I could do some research to figure out where to take it.

In the end, the car made the decision for me. We took it to the closest shop in town because it was all downhill to get there. :D

If your car has given you an advance warning, I would suggest fixing it ASAP to save the costs of a tow truck! ;)

yikes..same situation here...recently moved.. (any suby gurus in southern ct??)

I have a motorcycle as a spare vehicle..not much space to work on the car..also way overdue for timing belt, a front axle, brakes would be good to have

thanks, you other guys, on the clutch recommendations