Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are86 GL Wagons squirrly at highway speeds?

Brand new. Is it only when they are in 4 wheel drive? My 86 is, I want to minimize it as much as possible with new tires and struts but I have a feeling they are just a little that way stock with everything new. Am I correct?

My 99 drives like a freaking sports car, I swear. Corners well, rides like glass. What are the major differences between the 2, different steering? Suspension?

my 86 gl wag does well at highway speeds. check your alignment. my 91 loyale sucks on the freeway because i lifted it and have beat it, it needs new suspension and alignment. there will be a difference between your 86 and 99 no matter what you do but you can install a rear swaybar off a turbo car.

hope this helps

RV

My Loyale feels fine up to about 80. I have a vibration in my steering wheel, but aside from that (which is just annoying) it feels solid. It's not going to ride like an STi on pink springs, but it's definitely more confidence inspiring than my 69 bug was.

Your Loyale gets to 80? And beyond? You lie!

Ok, kidding. I hit 96 once, going downhill (ok, down a Nevada mountain) with wind behind me, but yeah--it is solid the few times I've pushed at and looked down to say "Oh! *$&$%^#)(, how the h*ll did I get to 80?"

As to the original question, being in 4wd at highway speeds will do it. At least the first couple times I hit snow or rain storms on a road trip, I tried 4wd (slowed down to 45/50ish, but still...) and yes, it got squirrelly. The transmission/front diff are essentially locked to the rear diff/axles when you are in 4wd. There is a single drive train connecting the front and rear axles, no center differential. Newer Subarus have a center differential, thus the All-wheel drive (vs. four wheel drive) and can handle dry pavement--the center diff compensates for the different needs between the front and rear axles. Your GL/EA82s doesn't have that center diff.

If the car is doing anything other than going in a straight line with all four wheels rotating both in line with each other and at the same speed, you'll feel a bit of binding at slow speeds, or squirrelliness or skipping at higher speeds. That is the wheels trying to accomodate the difference in direction and/or speed between the wheels. The difference is small, but not zero--and it's very noticeable.

Any time you turn even a little (one side of the car is now going faster than the other) or have the wheels off that sweet spot where all four axles are turning at the same rate, the wheels will try to compensate for the difference in rotational speed and/or direction. On snow or wet pavement, or gravel, or dirt, or...any surface with some give this happens by the wheels shifting or drifting a bit on the driving surface. On dry pavement neither the tires or the road want to 'give up' so you end up with skipping, binding, squirreliness...does that make sense?

(ETA: wouldn't hurt to check your tire pressure, alignment, and suspension/bearing related stuff too as others mention)