Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driver side tail light out, help plz!

Yeah its been a tough journey keeping my old brat on the road. Now my driver side tail light is out, brake lights work fine, replaced bulb, problem still exists. Any tips? Its odd because its only one tail light so I suspect some kind of ground/wiring problem. Anywhere to look in particular?

Issues I've had with my BRAT's and their rear lighting has been the connection found behind the rear side panel on Passengerside of the bed. Can also be reached by removing the light assembly. May want to check the Driverside connectors too.

I've had the wires break, or corrode off, on more then one BRAT.

It must have something to do with the wiring under the dash, because sometimes my gauges start rising, seems like its overheating, but then i kick the wires under the dash and the gauges go back to normal. Must be a ground under there loose or something, but now my tail light works again LOL!

I just had this happen last night on the front marker light. The ground on the light socket itself, had come loose. I wanst getting a ground and I couldnt get continuity anywhere. I pulled it apart and melted some of the plastic and re-soldered the wire to the light socket again. Done....

I had a tail light that would work intermittently and the problem was the connector inside the bed wall behind the light. I removed the access panel and used a small pick and screwdriver to carefully scrape the insides of the female connectors to remove corrosion/dirt, then carefully bent them inward to increase tension on the pins once you plug the lights back in. I also gave them a liberal coating of Dielectric grease to protect them from future corrosion.

If you keep having problems that is what I would try.

I had intermittent problems with my blinker light. The problem occurred in the winter months only. My solution was to clean the connecter and coat it with silicone grease to keep out the moisture. I also cleaned and coated the socket. I would test to see if you are getting power to the connector. If you are them check the wiring back to the light. If not head up to the dash area.The problem could be as simple as a corroded ground connector.