Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im stuck and pulling my hair out please help!

Ok I just got my engine back in and everything hooked up after doing a head gasket change and replacing the timing belt kit and water pump. I am working on a 2002 legacy gt with the 2.5 L. The car starts and runs but I am having some issues. When I first start it it wants to die and just stop running, once it warms up a little it runs a lot better but it is still just a little off. I was driving it in my neighborhood just a minute ago and while I was going about 30 mph it just cut out and then jolted back again. For the most part it drives ok but once in a while it just stutters. Im wondering if i have the timing belt just a little bit off, when I pulled the pin on the tensionor and moved the drivers side cam back a little Im wondering if i moved it a little to far. Would the car run fairly decent if the timing belt on the driver cam was off by just a little and cause it to stutter like it is or is there something else from any of you guys experience that I should check for. This was my first ever head gasket change/timing belt/ and engine removal and I just dont know where to go from here. Should I just take the timing belt off and try to reset it or is there something simpler that I should look for first. Thanks for any of your input!

I should also mention that it seems that my engine tick that is so common with subaru engines seems to be a little bit louder then it was before this whole project began, when I put my ear by the intake manifold on each side you can here it ticking in the head area. Maybee its just becaue my valves are old but just thought i would through that in there for some more info on the situation.

Double check your vac lines and elec. Connections. Cel on? Did you use oem gaskets on the intake? You can check the marks by pulling the covers and turning the crank. From what I have read here when your off a tooth it won't start or really runs like crap. Did you at least check your valve clearances while the engine was apart? All ok? Sounds like it could be something minor.

I used a fel pro gasket set on it, I did not check the valve clerance, guuess I should have and I will know better for next time. I did find that my wire harness that goes to the spark distributor was not on tight, I broke the clamp on it a while back so it can slide off if im not careful. Havent had a chance to drive it yet since i slid that on tight waiting for the kid to go to sleep. Hopefully that is all it was I will let you know :) I wonder about the timing because I have also heard that it runs like absolute crap when it is one tooth off but mine runs decent some of the time. I would think if it was the timing it would do it all the time. Ill keep ya posted!

Is the check engine light coming on at all?

Compression test is basically remove the spark plugs, hold or screw the compression tester into each spark plug hole one at a time, block the throttle fully open, then let it crank and read the peak reading on the gauge. The battery is supposed to be fully charged during this. There's different readings usually for engine cold, engine warm, and a 'wet' reading with a shot of oil in the cylinder.

seems to be running a lot better now with the harness plugged all the way in, still just a tad rough but that it probably due to old spark plugs and wires. I will trade those out tonight and see where it gets me:) thanks for your input guys i couldnt have dont this project without this awesome website. Now if I could only get my heater hose to tighten up enough to stop dripping coolant I will be all set!

You guys rock! :drunk:

Look for the obvious first. Double check your connections. A vac. Leak will make it run bad. Does the idle seem to be a little higher. Don't see how a compression test will help much. If a valve is slightly off the compression will still be fine. what plugs did you install? Plug wires ok? Don't be so quick to assume its the worst. You might have fixed it with the dist:plug. Wire tie. It so it wont happen again. You might want to walk away from it and think about it for a day or two. Sometimes I get frustrated and need to step away.

Good! Glad you got it! When I put my engine in it wouldn't start. I was sure I screwed something up. Walked away for a day, then realized I pressure washed the engine bay with the engine out. Must have gotten water in the connectors. Cleaned up wires and greased them and it started right up.