Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interior rip-out, Rhino Liner coating

Hmm, well that's something to chew on. Don't want to fry the harness or activate the airbag inadvertently while splicing wires for conduit. Clearly more investigation is required.

When I took the carpet out for replacement to the Forester there's a lot a junk just siting there. Without the carpet it would have to be protected;My Sister ordered some kind of mat liner for her Escape. It is heavy plastic and matched the floor pan exactly. No carpet is exposed and thus no odor problem in the Winter. Just something to consider.

I'm sure it could be done... perhaps not to the "spray it clean with a hose" stage, but you could certainly manage the other issues with the appropriate covers, access panels, wire re-routing, etc.

But keep in mind that the car is going to be pretty loud inside without the interior and sound deadening...

I would expect the '98 OBW to be exactly the same as the '98 Legacy wagon. The changes are mostly in the suspension and spacers, aren't they?

a '98 Outback in most cases has a 2.5 DOHC motor vs the 2.2 SOHC of the Legacy, plus 4:44 gearing.

Other then that, it just has longer strut bodies and a crossmember spacer front and rear. Springs are 100% the same as a Legacy.

If you really wanted to get the most out of a Legacy or Outback, Outback struts, Forester springs and top hats. Or complete Forester strut assys is you can find them.

Strip the interior, rhino line it, and re-install the center console and the door sill plastics, as that will contain most of the wiring. any other wiring will be under the seats.

you can slit down some heater hoses to make conduits for any exposed wires.

Not a bad idea to lose the carpets. the wires will be fine.

Do I take it as confirmation that the Wathertech carpets from the Legacy fit the OBW as well? It's kind of weird WT don't list anything for the OBW...

Correct, there is no floorpan change throughout the '95-'99 Legacy or Outback, so yes, Outback WT mats would work in a Legacy. WT just doesn't want to be liable for anything I would suspect.

I had a tercel that was caved oin on one side, it leaked, and the carpets were wet and moldy. I ripped them out to let the thing dry. the floors were starting to rust. Idid the wiring a favor be being exposed to dry.

i removed the seats and used tis car a s a rolling toolbox/dumpster bin hauling to the scrapyard and to construction jobs. never had a problem with anything being exposed. I wanted to cut the decklid and rear window out to make a ute. enough about the toyota, this is a subaru board.

as far as subars and ute chops go, i have the idea to make a panel wagon form an ea82. here are my ideas:

remove the seats but the driver. Replace the bottom seat with a plywood, same for the upper, so that the plywoods are essentially replacing the seat foam, and will flip up and down normally.

So the bottom part of the seat plywood would be a flat surface for sideloading from the rear doors, and the upper part serves as a bukhead from the way-back. The bottom part would sever as a storage lid that you can flip up to keep loose extension cords, cables, soft items.

When the bottom is flipped up, it serves as a bulkhead separating the driver area, and the back part folds down to make a completely flat area in the whole rear of the car.

When configures this way, rhe rear passenger footwells will serve as storage, and be hudden under the plywood to stash a cordlsas drill or saw of some sort.

For the rear side windows, remove them and panel them out with sheet metal. Or better yet, make them open up like a truck topper rear window, with locking latches. Build a roll-out work bench that stows over the rear wheel wells, and slides out with a bench vise or power stip, or as just a simple table to work from(on the curb side). and eithe panel off the back gate window, or put some sort of steel mesh on the inside or outside for security.

And it would be really awesome to find some road signs, cut them and bend them just right and replace the rear door glass with them, so you have a roll up and down panel door that is more theft proof, but you can roll it down to access things in the car, keeping side loading capabilities.