Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help?!?! - 86 wagon parking brake adjustment?

This issue has been driving me crazy. I have a sound almost like something scraping the dust shield once per rotation of the tire on my right front side. Redid the brakes and it went well, lubed everything. The sound is still there. If I am driving down the road and apply the brakes it would stop so I replaced the brakes, nothing. I don't know what it is.

What I really need help with is adjusting my front parking brake. Do I diss-assemble the interior console? I am asking because I know they are not fully releasing and I cleaned and lubed everything before installing new pads. I just want to back it off a little but cannot figure out how. Anyway help will really save me, thanks. (Can't find it by searching.)

As for the other noise, it also goes away while pushing the clutch while moving so who knows what it is. Applying brakes in motion stops it and so does pushing in the clutch while moving. It goes away at a constant speed but comes back when I accelerate. Maybe a throw-out bearing. I am not smart enough to know.

Thanks for any info you can provide, really.

... I have a sound almost like something scraping the dust shield once per rotation of the tire on my right front side. ...

Usually, a brake disc slightly distorted will make the Brake pads to rub a Li'l bit under motion, sometimes the Rub becomes even worse and then the Sound comes.

...What I really need help with is adjusting my front parking brake. ...

The adjustment is under the Center console, right on the Flat panel under the e-Brake Handle.

If your e-Brake is Failing, the Answer Should be to Buy a Complete Rebuild Kit from Subaru and Try to Rebuild it again... Here I have Pictures and Part Numbers for everything:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101883&page=7

I have been thru the Front e-brake Nightmare and I ended Deleting the Fronrt e-brake at all.

My BumbleBeast is a 1985 Weberized EA82.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
mispelled word

I OWE YOU BIG!!!! So I do pull the console. Thank you! I was considering doing the same and just disconnecting it. If it hasn't been fulling releasing then a warped rotor is definitely possible. (There were a couple scorch marks.)That used to be a big deal and I would have them turned but now they are pretty cheap - for most vehicles, I don't know what new rotors will run me on this though.

Edited by ubtripn

Days like today make me appreciate the mechanical simplicity of my 68 Chevy pickup that can pass anything but a gas station hence the need for the soobie - commuting and fishing and driving in snow and going off-road and.......They are like the leatherman of cars.

Edited by ubtripn

Well... I have a '69 Mercury comet Coupe, so I understand that Feeling.

I Kindly suggest you to read that Thread to fully understand that Situation.

Yes, you can disconnect the Cables... I did it for a while, but is Safer to Close the e-brake openings in the Caliper's Cylinders if you really want to get Rid of the e-brakes.

My next step will be to Retrofit the Rear e-brakes from a Nissan 200 SX.

Kind Regards.