Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale, 1.8 5 spd hesitation under load

Having some issues, more of an annoyance than a major problem, but sometimes when under light to medium load the engine will seem to cough and sputter, then continue driving normal, it seems to be doing it more now that its colder outside but does happen when the engine is fully warmed up, the only thing I have done recently in that department is I turned the idle down a bit to pass emissions, Im going to turn it back to normal now that its hard to keep running when cold, but other than that maintenence is normal, oil changes every month, seafoam in the oil, fuel, and intake once in a while. again not the biggest problem but some input would be appreciated

• 7 months later...

I also had this problem. Plugging my EGR valve helped significantly. Not perfect, but much better. I still have the issue when I have it in gear and idling (such as in slow moving traffic) the car bounces around, as if it's missing every now and then and it switches to the wheels driving the engine, then immediately back to the engine driving the wheels, which can make for a pretty uncomfortable drive in those conditions.

• 5 weeks later...