Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 front hub 6-lug conversion

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to plan (ha!) my project time required to redrill the front hubs on my 1981 GL Wagon to accept the toyota 6 lug pattern.. I've completed the rear conversion already, so I know what's involved, BUT my question is this..

Is is possible to safely remove/separate the front hub from the brake disc/rotor without removal of the brake caliper? I got a feeling that the

hub and rotor aren't gonna separate without a little gentle persuasion from

a mallet or small hammer (striking the hub only).. At least that was the deal

with my junk yard rotors/hub combo used for the rear disc brake swap..

so what do you think? thanks for your time; answering "what if's" from newbie's.. I appreciate it.

best regards, and I hope you have snow soon.

gadberry

Gadberry, Sorry I'm no help with your question. We are kind of neighbors. I live near the Tenkiller Ferry dam, and even though it's a hundred miles, that dealer in Fayetteville is the 2nd closest to me. Do you have anything good or bad to say about them? Thanks for your time.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

well, i ended up removing the brake calipers during the 6 lug hub conversion.

while the hubs did separate from the rotors easier than the rear junk yard set I used for the rear upgrade, i was replacing my calipers with new reman'd ones anyway (thanks rock auto!) so off with the old; on with the new ones.. freshly turned rotors and fire engine read backing plates and we're good to go

after a full brake bleed.. wahoo!!!

okie bill.. as for Adventure Subaru, i've purchased a used 06 outback from them in 08 and they service it but not my old subaru.. i only buy parts from

their counter that i can't find elsewhere/online.. they're good folks and do

a good job..they've always righted any issues i may have had, but they're also

the only guys on the block.. :) the family has been in business round these parts for decades though and they do their best to please in this small town. They seldom price haggle; don't have to, and won't... they move product here in NWA and I would suspect that a better price might be had in little rock at the dealer since there's fewer soob nutz down there and the cars may be more difficult to move than here in a college town. just my opinion.. i'm no expert in the car biz.. :)

cheers,