Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump

Anyone had luck (good or bad) with aftermarket fuel pumps? Mine's been making noise since I bought the car. Figured I'd replace it just for peice of mind, but they're over $300! I would typically always go with OEM or better, but that's a lot of money for a fuel pump.

Is that just the way it's got to be? I found one online for just under $200...

I ended up putting a used one on my Loyale (SPFI) for $40. Knock on wood, it's still going. I also bought a new replacement for my '87 wagon from Napa. It was around $60-70? But it is a carbed Ea82. Not sure about the pressure differences. I have read a few links about guys using a pump from? Say a F-150? Modified to fit of course.

Ok thanks. Yeah, I guess I post here infrequently enough to keep making newbie mistakes...

93 Loyale, SPFI. The ones I saw online from Napa were no cheaper than OEM. Probably the same part. But if I just searched for 93 Loyale fuel pump, I found one under $200...

What kind of noise?

Just a loud whiiring noise to let you know it's running?

If that's the case, they all do this. They're an externally mounted pump and after years of exposure the rubber bushings that isolate it from the body go hard, so all the noise of a noisy externally mounted pump gets sent into the body.

What kind of noise?

Just a loud whiiring noise to let you know it's running?

If that's the case, they all do this. They're an externally mounted pump and after years of exposure the rubber bushings that isolate it from the body go hard, so all the noise of a noisy externally mounted pump gets sent into the body.

I prefer the noise, so I know the pump is working.

Ok...Well if people think that the noise is normal (yes, a kind of whirring, pulsing noise. doesn't always do it, but usually does), I won't worry so much about it. When I saw that it was external, I figured it's pretty simple to change, so why not? I've had fuel pumps go out in very bad places, so I figured it would be good insurance. Until I saw the price...

If there isn't anyone out there who thinks that the noise means impending doom, I won't worry about it.

I'll also do some searching on the Ford conversion (there's info out there?)

Thanks!

Ya gotta realize, these EA-series Subarus aren't new Acuras. Theyre inherently noisy, and have a certain amount of coarseness to them, compared to just about any car built today (with the exception of some of the low end GM stuff).

I'd list that noise in the "normal" category.

Just my 2 bucks

Thanks. I'm in Montana. Not so much rust here.

As far as being an old car, this is the newest vehicle I've owned. Typically, when something is making noise, it's time to replace it. That's how you keep things running and not leaving you stranded. But I do agree; there are noises you can ignore, and ones you shouldn't. Just wondering which this is. I don't like having a failing fuel pump. Like I mentioned, I've been left stranded before by a fuel pump. I got myself out of it...but I was on the side of the road in nowhere southern Utah without cell service for a couple hours before I rigged the pump well enough to get me to the next town...

My 83 Toyota pickup runs great with no "failing" noises. Yes, it's a noisy truck, but there's a difference between noisy and the noise of a part failing.

So thank you, I'll consider this noise not really anything to worry about for the time being!

Anyway, thanks for the replies!