Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to USMB

Hey guys, I've had a few Subies now and figured might as well say hi. Name's Corbett, I live in Duluth, MN. Brief Subaru history: my first Subaru was "The Frankenwagon" that I bought from Numbchux back a couple years ago. Sold it (and immediately regretted it) and bought a '92 turbo legacy. It let me down in the middle of winter so I made an emergency p.o.s. purchase which turned out to be the best $400 I ever spent... an '87 GL hatchback. Sucker had no power and a clutch that was basically non-existent and the body didn't have a solid spot on it, but she made it through the winter and into spring where it finally died up in Gilbert, MN wheelin' with the big boys... and even then it still made it back to the trailer on its own power. Ended up parting out the GL, selling the t-leg and purchasing the totally rust-free GL10 I have now from a guy up in MI. The motor was blown, but it came with most of the stuff I needed for an EJ swap. I got the rest of the necessary parts and put em all together with lots of help from Chux. The EJ that came with it ended up being really tired and leaking oil so I'm actually going to go pick up a fresher one this afternoon. I also just made a pretty solid investment in the GL10's body yesterday and had the side/undercarriage bed-lined and rust-proofed. Here's hoping she'll last another 25 years! Now some pics.

My old roommate driving "The Frankenwagon" after I sold it to him.

cimg1427a.jpg

The T-leg

46169796.jpg

The amazing $400 car in its last hours of life

imag0047ad.jpg

The GL10. Hadn't even gotten to working on it and some jerk shot out my window...

imag0153es.jpg

imag0154e.jpg

Out with the old...

imag0171o.jpg

In with the new(ish)...

imag02071.jpg

The man himself, Nubchux, working his magic with the digi-dash.

imag0200dy.jpg

Power trial... didn't realize how deep the ruts were... heh. Sorry oil pan!

imag0274j.jpg

imag0277hi.jpg

And this is how she sits right now. Bed-lined, winter wheels, ready for the imminent snow!

imag0297ug.jpg

HA! i know the guy that car came from 2 owners ago. In fact, i sold him one of my cars. This car you have made a pit stop at my garage fro a split hose.

I am glad someone got a hold of this car and put it together. The original ea82t only need ed a head gasket, and was fixable.

Our local crowd was disappointed when the owner here sold it to the dude in michigan, as we were all after it!

that is a bit far for me to just come after it, but its worth saving a few bits that you could sell on the forums, at least pull off stuff like solenoids and intake hoses, maf. the heads may be worth something. But i understand if you don't want to take the time to tear it down.

I tried to convince the original owner we could do the HG on it in my garage. but instead he bought a whole donor car, pulled parts, and sold it right away being short on cash..

someone in the end gets the best deal-the one who puts it together!

Better get your story straight instead of spreading false gossip.

The Turbo Failed (Was getting cherry red) then a HG failed, the owner needed money to fix a roof, traded this car for a '89 Dodge Cummins Diesel which he flipped for the funds to repair the roof. Then moved on to the EJ chassis cars as they suite him better.

I helped straighten out the wiring for the offroad lights on it, and also helped install both of those EMPI axles. The Nissan wheels were hogged out completely wrong and are a PITA to seat correctly.

Originally, that car came from a member in NC, then to WI, then to northern peninsula.

I tried to convince the original owner we could do the HG on it in my garage. but instead he bought a whole donor car, pulled parts, and sold it right away being short on cash..

Edited by TheLoyale

Better get your story straight instead of spreading false gossip.

Tom, you look like a fool with that response. it's only gossip to you, because we all know eachother.

Can't i give a shout out to the guy who is now driving it? I am glad to see it has been rescued.

Tom, you look like a fool with that response. it's only gossip to you, because we all know eachother.

Can't i give a shout out to the guy who is now driving it? I am glad to see it has been rescued.

Dude, I'm not starting anything with you. Point is, you make it like the past owner was wrong to trade this car for something else, personally, I would have done the same thing if I were in that spot. end of story.

I am glad this car is getting a much needed EJ swap.

Dude, I'm not starting anything with you. Point is, you make it like the past owner was wrong to trade this car for something else, personally, I would have done the same thing if I were in that spot. end of story.

I am glad this car is getting a much needed EJ swap.

dude did sell the car being short on cash. People would have told him to EJ it anyway. i'll leave it at that.

C'mon guys, lets not hijack this guys thread.

With that said, really glad to see my old car has been picked up by somebody with a brain and some ambition. I bought that car from a guy named Caleb in North Carolina and had it shipped up here in June or July of 2010. The car was in amazing condition and Tom and I did a TON of work to it. I had trouble figuring out an ignition problem pretty much the whole summer before I finally figured it out (the resistor on the base of the coil mount had a short in it). Then, I started driving it more and more and then the turbo got cherry red hot and then the head gasket blew in it. Not sure why the turbo failed, but I had so much time and money into it and I did need money for home repairs so I said hell with it. So, it was part necessity and part frustration. Glad you have ended up with it and completed the EJ swap that must make it a sweet car now. Did you also get the proper transmission cross members and the SJR adapter plate and my donor wiring harness? Did you end up with all the paper work for that car, I had a folder of receipts that I provided to the guy in upper Michigan. As Tom mentioned, we did EMPI axles, ball joints, tie rod ends, radiator and hoses, K&N air filter, new plugs and wires, distributor, rotor, CPS, and on and on. Let me know how this one progresses.

Lol, didn't realize this would spark some drama =P Maybe that's why the window was shot out..... hmm... I kid. Yeah, so far it's been a good car. Few quirks associated with the swap, but I'm most pleased with the fact I didn't have to lose that trip computer with the outside temp, etc. haha. As far as what came with it, not sure about the crossmember... didn't get a harness... got the adaptor plate and receipts though. Buddy of mine had a donor car that I got the harness from. The guy in MI handed me two rectangular tubes maybe 2"x2"x4" said they went somewhere on the suspension or somethin. Honestly I don't remember and I'm not terribly familiar with suspensions. Any clue what I'm talking about? I've been driving it around (spiritedly as you can see) and nothing catastrophic has happened yet, so it can't be terribly crucial.

Lol, didn't realize this would spark some drama =P Maybe that's why the window was shot out..... hmm... I kid. Yeah, so far it's been a good car. Few quirks associated with the swap, but I'm most pleased with the fact I didn't have to lose that trip computer with the outside temp, etc. haha. As far as what came with it, not sure about the crossmember... didn't get a harness... got the adaptor plate and receipts though. Buddy of mine had a donor car that I got the harness from. The guy in MI handed me two rectangular tubes maybe 2"x2"x4" said they went somewhere on the suspension or somethin. Honestly I don't remember and I'm not terribly familiar with suspensions. Any clue what I'm talking about? I've been driving it around (spiritedly as you can see) and nothing catastrophic has happened yet, so it can't be terribly crucial.

Those little rectangular tubes are the remaining pieces of the 2 inch SJR lift kit Tom and I put in the car. They are spacers to drop the engine cross member down two inches. So, if you're willing to drop the from cross member and re-do all of your radiator and power steering lines and make a steering column extension you will save some axle wear. The car was originally automatic and then swapped to a 5 speed dual range. Caleb in NC did that work and made his own cross member. I purchased (through members on this board) the proper cross members for the 5 speed dual range, too bad the guy in MI didn't include them. I really do wish I could have kept that car, but I was hurtin for cash at the time and I knew if I did the swap I would have sunk another $500 into that EJ engine to do it right (head gaskets, timing, seals, and so on).

I find it outstanding this car has been owned by 3 other USMB members and now onto its forth. Original owner of this car from NC is MysteriousXT on here for shiz and gigz.

The only think I would change would be the Nissan rims for Peugeot wheels or maybe even a five lug knuckle swap from an XT6.

Lol, I have no drama over this car. Just keeping the facts straight. :drunk: