Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Undercoating?

I really like the Eastwood undercoating. It is and oily waxy stuff that seems to really coat well, and doesn't flake off like the 'rubberized' stuff eventually does. Sometimes they have bogo offers with free shipping on that product.

I also use Amsoil heavy duty metal protector as an undercoat; it works OK, but it doesn't seem to stay on very long, like even one season.

thats what i was thinking, but kinda new to it. theres a big hunting ranch by my house and all the guides vehicles are COMPLETELY powdercoated? is that the word? there all textured anyhow, headlights, wheels, body, underbody. thought it was a good idea, being that im looking to pant flat aricraft grey. and then im going to add some black paint pen to make it it look like steel panels with the rivets all the way around, kinda like a jet. i'll post pics when its done.

I don't really like rubberized; maybe it was just the brand I used. It started to develop 'pockets' where it was not attached to the metal anymore. That did not seem ideal. The kind I used didn't seem to stick well unless the surface was clean or at least didn't have too much oil/grease on it.

forget the bedliner in a can and forget the 'rubberized or tarry stuff' if your purpose is to prevent rust.

Bedliner on the outside for aesthetics would be ok, but if you want to stop rust or preserve your wheel arche. use a product called 'napa stone guard' I believe it's a 3m product, badged as napa, but it's good stuff.

the rubberized stuff will wipe off with your finger after it dries. ot you get a tarry substance that is messy to work around.

clean out the wheel arches very well, pull the font fenders, and go to town with this stuff. make sure to cover all the seam welds well. Treat any rust before applying to not have the metal rust out from behind.

I have to disagree with the wiping off with your finger statement. Yes it has to be clean and oil free and of course rust free as well before you apply it. But I did the fender wells and trunk area in a BMW 2002 I redid and it lasted for the 4 years I drove it daily. It would turn messy if gasoline got to it though. And it was the 3m product. Por 15 for the rust is great.

Well, i'm not gonna lie. I hae boththe rubberized and the stone guard on my car.

but first i treated with por 15. I treated the area above the gas tank with the rubberized stuff, and then the rockersils, and inner fenders and wheel wells with the stone guard. I used the rubber stuff where it wouldnt be abraded by debris in tight areas, but the stone guard on areas that would encounter debris and excessive crud.

BTW if you notice your rocker sills or front valence has a texture to it, and the bottom of the doors, that is from the factory and the stone guard is essentially the same compound.

i drive primarily dirt roads so the debri levels, i would consider high. well it looks like i have some pretreating before i can go to town with a spray,(still undecided) im leaning towards the stone guard though now, mayby the rubberized does seem like it would allow vibrations/or sounds to release through the rubber rather than traveling to the next component and essentially in the cab. or is that an invalid theory?

• 2 months later...