Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions on trailer hitches and towing with 00 legacy l sedan

I sold my truck yesterday, and now driving the legacy l everyday. I have a very light weight 5x7 home depot style trailer I bought from a neighbor. My question is, what is the best fitting hitch? Any to stay away from?

Anyone tow with a 00 legacy sedan? Basically I would use it to pick up small items...with the largest being a craftsman lawn tractor to my mothers a few miles away at the end of the season. Just looking for the pros and cons.

My car is a 00 legacy l with MT. I have not got the hitch yet, want to hear from all of you first.

Geo

You can get one at u-haul. If you want to find a better price, take the part numbers that u-haul lists and use those numbers to shop else where, an the u-haul part number is the same as the mfg. part number.

If i were to tell you to avod a brand, avoid the walmart-shelf REESE brad, ans those are the cheapest quality i have seen.

You want a good Curt, Valley, or Cequent brankd hitch

U-Haul is the world's largest retailer, so begin your search there(or their website) They may have the best wholesale price for the part. you will save money if you install it yourself(not terrobly difficult)

go with the u-haul 13486 wiring plug or another 3-way converter made by HOPPY.

what you will find for your car is hitches rating 2500-3500 lbs. If you can get one with a 2 inch receiver, it will be the most versatile as you can use the 2 inch for platfrom racks, bike carriers, etc.

i am not familiar with the newest subarus, but there may be a plug that is there for a direct plugin pigtail(would cost the most)

I bought a draw tight from craigs list. It was only 3 Months old. Came with hitch and hardware and a plug in harness. My question does anyone know if the 2000 Subaru legacy l sedan comes with the extra connector to plug the harness in to? The hitch came off a 01 legacy wagon and is the same part number for my 00, but I did not see the plug in harness listed for 00 on etrailers.com but the 01 wagon did. I know the seller bought everything from etrailer.com. Is there a extra connector for the harness on a 00 legacy sedan? If there is location?

I did no receive the hitch and harness yet, I want to get the correct wiring ordered if the 00 does not come with the connector.

Thanks,

Geo

Edited by Rpm90001

the connector is not installed in the sedan versions, only outbacks. i just went through this on my 2003 Outback Sedan H6. it already had a hitch when i got it but i wanted a wiring harness too, but nothing there. i checked and got nothing and saw information suggesting sedans did not get it.

i guess we'll have to get a generic and wire it in yourself.

i just picked up a 1999 Subaru the other day with my 2003, picture attached. i wouldn't recommend it but it was close to home and not that far, one time deal, etc.

brakes, engine, and trans did better than i thought they would, handling did worse than i thought, it wouldn't take much to loose control back there with the light weight in the back. but i was driving a lot of steep up and down mountain twistys so i was feeling it a lot more there than on the straight flat parts. if you're towing all flat land you'd hardly notice anything except pushing while braking/correcting/emergency move (not a fun feeling).

i've towed all sorts of other stuff too, the sedan will tow a small trailer just fine. the more often and heavier loads you'll be doing the more you'll want to err on the side of caution. there's no black/white or yes/no, or can/cannot do about towing. i tow a lot and have a truck for that (usually!), no way i'd want to carry those kinds of loads regularly.

post-6800-136027652161_thumb.jpg

I had my truck for 12 years and going to miss it. I will get another truck, but will use the subaru till then. All I will be towing is a 4x6 home depot special, very light weight. I will basically use it for anything I can't fit in the car. I buy a lot of generators, pressure washers, mowers and small engine type stuff. The largest would be my craftsman tractor a few miles twice a year. I have the draw tight hitch, But have to get the draw bar, what bar are you using? 3 inch rise? I want everything here when the hitch gets here.

I did order the correct modulite wiring kit, I will just sell the plug and play harness. It was only used 1 time that will off set the cost.

The picture above reminds me when I towed a backhoe with my 6cly f150.

i just have a straight draw bar, nothing fancy.

The picture above reminds me when I towed a backhoe with my 6cly f150.
ROFL! that's what i have a RWD 6 cylinder Ford F150! gutless but it's a nice motor.

I did order the correct modulite wiring kit, I will just sell the plug and play harness. It was only used 1 time that will off set the cost.
i could use one on my wife's 02 OBW, how much you want for it?

generators, pressure washers, mowers and small engine type stuff. The largest would be my craftsman tractor a few miles twice a year.
it'll tow all that stuff easy, you'll barely notice it.

Sorry for the delay in post, 5 days in Icu with my mom, I have not been on. I just posted it in the binghamton NY craigs list. Call or text if interested. It is like new, just like you just opened the box. I'm ready to install the drawtite hitch, and give the Subaru a towing test. For what I want it for it will be fine.

Geo

They make good tow points as well. If you're into off roading...

The trailer hitch on my legacy might be more useful if the receiver wasn't rusted solid in the hitch.

All you need to fix that is a can of WD-40, a chain, large hammer, and a tree. Spray it with the WD-40 and wack it with the hammer for a few days, then connect the ball hitch to the chain and wrap it around a tree. A coupld of light pulls should get it out.