Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Interior Heat

I have a 1988 EA82 DL. Heat will come out for about 15 seconds, then cool. I had this heating issue before I rebuilt the engine a few months ago. With the engine out I flushed the heater core with both air and water - both sides. Flowed easily at that time. With the engine and heater on, both under-the-hood heater core pipes are hot. The temperature slider on the dashboard works well and appears to make the blend door operate. The Defrost/Heat/Bi-Level dashboard buttons work also. Coolant is full. Fuse good. No interior coolant leaks. Summer thermostat. A/C inoperable but still need compressor in place for belts. The A/C dashboard button when pressed also blows heat for 15 seconds then cool.

I am wondering if the heater core is not working properly even though it initially flushed well and currently has hot in/out pipes. Extraneous outside air coming thru ductwork? Is there other vacuum/mechanical linkages that I need to check-out? Advice.