Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alternator

Hi All

I just replaced the alternator on my 1992 loyale 4wd

How can I get the belts tighter? I have the alternator pulled up as far as I can on the adjusting side, but the outer belt still has a lot of slack in it

I thought it was enough, but when I tried starting it, it wouldn't start and it made a weird noise (probably the belt slipping)

suggestions? It seems like it should be eaiser to adjust the slack. Maybe I need someone to pull up on it with more force while I tighten the belt?

Hi All

I just replaced the alternator on my 1992 loyale 4wd

How can I get the belts tighter? I have the alternator pulled up as far as I can on the adjusting side, but the outer belt still has a lot of slack in it

I thought it was enough, but when I tried starting it, it wouldn't start and it made a weird noise (probably the belt slipping)

suggestions? It seems like it should be eaiser to adjust the slack. Maybe I need someone to pull up on it with more force while I tighten the belt?

maybe you have the wrong belts or one is more stretched than the other. I tighten my belt by leveraging a small crow-bar against the alternator and its mounting bracket, than i tighten the bolts

The car should have started whether the belt was loose or not, you got something else going on there.

You can also get a shorter belt, just take it to the parts store and have it measured.

Right before I took off the alternator it started up and I was able to move it forward.

When I installed the new alternator it turns over but just makes a wheezy sound and won't actually start. All I did was touch the battery cables and the two wires on the alternator side.

Why won't it start now? It has always started up until I got this new alternator?