Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How will my BRAT do in the snow

Not only is this my first Subaru, but it's my first 4WD vehicle of any kind. I know my 2WD F150 is pretty useless in slick conditions, no traction for the drive wheels. So, I was wondering, since what 4WD does in the BRAT is send power to the axle which has trouble pushing the F150, is there going to be enough improvement to justify getting this cool little car out in all that crap? Maybe I need a rusty or beat up wagon for wintertime :brow:

Bill

Best 4wd EVER for snow. We would take the one we had growing up in Montana and run the farm roads until it was pushing snow over the hood! They are great in 'dry' snow. Wet snow as well, but deep wet snow is another story as it tends to pack in underneath the body and lift you up which is no bueno for traction. Good tires are a must though. I wouldn't trade my Brat in the snow for anything....

Good responses, but how am I going to use them to convince my wife that I need another car? :-p:-p It only snows enough around here to worry about maybe twice or three times a year. The locals have the attitude that "If God put it there, He can remove it." About two or three days after a good snow is the worst driving conditions. Packed snow turned to ice. I think the best deal for that is studs, but can't justify them for two or three uses a year. Sounds like I need to try the BRAT. :D

These vehicles are front wheel by design first with selectable 4wd to lock in the rear diff. Even if you never used the 4wd in these they will handle great. I think even if you dont need to worry about snow that much its still a nice purchase to get. If you can find an oklahoma one with no rust your miles ahead of where alot of others are. Good Luck.

You have to get it out in the yuck... that's where it really shines... but... weak tires means poorer performance... last winter I had my summer tires on and got into freezing rain/snow and did a 360 on an onramp to bridge.. with daughter... meekly went home, put on studs and the big "S" on my chest and back out for fun.....

Look on Craigs list for snow tires/studs.. I caught two sets of 4 for about $25 a tire on rims... so $200 put studs on both my Subies... mmmmmm... feel the love...

when the roads are bad enough to keep most sane people at home, that's my favorite time to go for a drive in my ol' 84GL.

but no matter how capable the vehicle, you hafta have tires up to the task.

I usually run studded snow tires, but this year I have siped BFG ATs, and they do pretty good. not great, but well enough